For more than 40 years, Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) has been helping businesses and governments better anticipate and manage climate and weather-related risks. Large government agencies like NOAA, NASA and the Departments of Defense and Energy rely on AER’s scientists to help solve weather and climate related problems of vital national importance in energy, environment and national security. Large insurance, energy and investment firms count on AER to help them decrease weather-related losses and increase profitability by integrating state-of-the-art climate science and weather information into their planning and decision processes. For more information visit www.aer.com.
AER operates as a subsidiary of Verisk Analytics. In just the past year, Verisk Analytics was certified as a Great Place to Work, and was named by Forbes magazine to both its World’s Most Innovative Companies list and its America’s Best Large Employers list.
Atmospheric and Environmental Research, Inc. (AER) invites applications for an Ocean Research Scientist position, to be filled as soon as possible at our Lexington, MA office. Desired candidates should have a PhD in physical oceanography or related sciences and a demonstrated ability to work independently, publish in the peer-reviewed literature, and develop their own research agenda, commensurate with respective post-doctoral experience. Strong technical and communication skills and potential to lead an externally funded research program are essential.
The selected candidate will participate in ongoing multi-year projects with an ocean circulation, sea level and climate focus, involving satellite/in situ data analysis and interpretation, large-scale modeling and state estimation, while also developing an independent research program. The position will provide ample opportunities to collaborate with a broad group of scientists at AER and at prestigious academic institutions and government research labs.
- PhD in physical oceanography or related sciences
- Experience in scientific analysis of satellite/in situ ocean data and model output
- Leadership experience and/or capability
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Expertise in at least one scientific analysis and/or programming tool (e.g., Matlab, R, Python, etc.)
The following are desired:
- Experience with data assimilation methods
- Experience in running ocean and/or climate models
- Working knowledge of Matlab and Fortran
- Familiarity with aspects of geodetic and cryospheric science related to sea level and ocean circulation variability
Requirements: Expertise --Staff Scientist
Job Type Full Time
Years of Experience 1-3 Years
Job ID: 20170612-9530-CP