Technical Modernization Project Manager, Director
MUFG's Technology Strategy and Incubation (TSI) team applies emerging technology to get banking out of our customers' way, putting customers' money to work where they want it, when they want it, without worrying about it. While incubating these step changes in foundational tech and security, TSI’s longer term goal is upshifting to a continuous evolution of technology, to keep pace with the accelerating rate of change in financial and data marketplaces.
Building the future of money
Our digital bank platform is the technology foundation for our full line of banking products, ensuring an 'easy to do business with' customer experience across multiple channels of customer engagement.
The platform supports transactions across deposits, loans, mortgages, even blockchain, all run through event stream processing that observes, aggregates, and correlates the transactions to help the bank make smarter, faster, more accurate customer-enabling decisions across our offerings in real time.
We are rolling these capabilities out the 'FinTech' way, using system reliability engineering (SRE) practices and open source software (OSS) for better developer velocity and platform resilience at the same time.
TSI is seeking a senior program and project management professional to design, lead, and manage technology-incubation-related efforts across a variety of dimensions, including vendor, financial, risk, and issue management. As we take on larger and more complex projects, this oversight will ensure we are consistent in implementation, manage resources appropriately, and are transparent in our reporting. Partnering with the technologists, the program manager removes roadblocks, manages external dependencies, and helps to ensure a smooth running team. In this highly critical and visible role, you will apply your many years of project and program management experience to successfully manage large, dynamic, and complex technology development programs.
Ultimately the program manager’s role is to effectively oversee/manage multiple projects comprising a program per MUFG’s policies and procedures, including use of the bank’s project life cycle, and project management tools/methodology.
- Manage large and complex (high visibility/risk) programs. Coordinates internal and external team activities as necessary.
- Partner with senior technology and business leads/sponsors, to develop strategic roadmaps to deliver large/complex technology programs.
- Own the goal--drive program completion by achieving what’s necessary to achieve the desired outcome, overcoming issues as they arise.
- Create and design processes as necessary to bring the right level of order—not too much, not too little—to an entrepreneurial technology team.
- Demonstrated innovation, creativity and an entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong organizational and project management skills, the ability to prioritize projects and keep multiple streams of work on schedule
- An instinctual eye for the critical path, and the risks it faces
- Able to comfortably manage more simultaneous threads than most
- Experience using and adapting to new technologies
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Strong communication & presentation skills (makes complex issues accessible to business audience, clear, concise, and audience appropriate)
- Ability to travel, including out of state and internationally
- Have experienced success with agile development methods within a waterfall oriented security or risk and compliance driven environment
- Client satisfaction focused- prompt and effective communications and follow-up is provided
- 10+ years managing project(s) in a high integrity, and/or regulated environment (government, healthcare, financial sectors)
- Independently and successfully managed at least three large scale and complex projects, from start to end (i.e. covering all life cycle phases) and at least one large scale program of projects of $5MM or larger with a duration of at least 12 months
- 4 year Bachelor’s Degree required
- Completion of PMP or other PM certification (preferred)
- Well versed in the application of a formalized/rigorous project management methodology
- Meticulous project status reporting, issue/resolution tracking, risk management
- Expertise in JIRA (or similar agile tools), Microsoft Project/PM Tools, and MS Office Suite Experience
- Requisition #: 10017119-WD