Senior Tax Accountant
Company Overview and Position Objectives:
The Senior Tax Accountant is responsible for preparation and filing of federal and state income tax returns for all Shelter Insurance Companies, Shelter Financial Services, Inc., Shelter Enterprises, LLC, Daniel Boone Agency, LLC, Shelter Benefits Management Inc., Shelter Financial Corporation, Shelter Financial Bank, and Shelter Insurance Foundation on an annual basis as required by law. Responsible for quarterly tax prepayments for above companies. Prepares monthly tax accruals for each company. Responsible for monitoring changes to existing tax law, and taking appropriate action to achieve compliance with changes. Participates in tax planning with external tax consultants. Expected to maintain an outstanding working knowledge of Statutory Codification Principles and Practices. Masters Degree in Accounting/Tax, MBA or Bachelors Degree in Accounting with a CPA preferred. Requires the ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Accumulates data and information necessary to ensure timely filing of federal and state tax returns, and payment of taxes due.
- Provides quarterly analysis of Shelter tax situation to determine quarterly payments.
- Balances and reconciles federal and state tax accounts for each company.
- Maintains superior knowledge of taxlaw by continuing education, monitoring tax legislation, and contact with co-workers and outside authorities.
- Performs other duties and completes special projects as assigned by the TaxSupervisor, Manager, Director, or Vice-President of Corporate Accounting.
- Essential Duties as described in this document are general in nature and should not be construed as encompassing all duties and/or functions of this job.
- Ability to research complex tax issues concerning federal and state taxlaw.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with middle to upper management on various tax issues.
- Ability to communicate regularly with external tax consultants.
- Ability to accept supervision, follow instructions and work in a harmonious manner with co-workers and supervisors.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities, excellent organizational skills to meet requireddeadlines.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex tax regulations and communicate findings to various levels of management.
- Ability to work with outside consultants and tax authorities, maintaining a professional working relationship.
- Ability to perform essential functions of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting required ; new college graduates accepted
- Masters Degree in Accounting/Tax, MBA preferred
- CPA preferred
- 2+ years experience in insurance accounting preferred.
- Works with general supervision of the TaxSupervisor, arranging own schedule to meet daily objectives, and significant filing deadlines.
- Failure to meet deadlines will result in significant financial penalties and interest expense to Shelter Insurance.
- Assists withaudit activities of all Company returns by Internal Revenue Service, State Revenue Departments and the Company's outside auditors.
- Responsible for maintaining records to support annual federal and state tax filings and complying with established record retention policies.
- Accountable for gaining and maintaining a thorough working knowledge of Statutory Codification Procedures and Practices.
- Provides expertise in researching and solving unique tax accounting situations.
Job Type: Full-time
- Columbia, MO
- Tax Accounting: 3years
Required licenses or certifications:
- MBA in Accounting