The Human Exploration Development and Operations Office (HEDOO) supports the system level design, integration, development, test, qualification, and acceptance of the Space Launch System (SLS), Multi-purpose Crew Vehicle (MPCV), Ground Systems Development and Operations (GSDO), ISS, and Deep Space Gateway and Transportation (DSG&T) programs. This position will support the Human Exploration Development and Operations Office (HEDOO). HEDOO supports the ISS Vehicle Program Office at JSC, providing technical support to the ISS Active Thermal Control System (ATCS). HEDOO also provides systems management and technical support to the NASA Docking System (NDS) and ISS Payload environmental testing performed at MSFC.
Provide senior level technical support to the Human Exploration Development and Operations Office (HEDOO). Responsibilities include:
1. Provide risk management support for the MSFC International Space Station (ISS) Office via technical support to the ISS Active Thermal Control System (ATCS)
2. Provide sustaining engineering support for on-orbit ISS ATCS anomaly resolution, with emphasis on Node 2 and Node 3. Support to troubleshooting, failure investigation and procedure review will rely on the knowledge base specifics of the Node designs and operations. Support will also include coordination with Thales Alenia Space - Italy as needed.
3. Provide support for on-orbit ATCS ops, including procedure review as related specifically to Internal Thermal Control System (ITCS).
4. Provide support for identifying and providing corrective actions to ISS ATCS and associated equipment non-conformances, including engineering support of new hardware, modification of existing hardware, replacement hardware, and/or changes in operational procedures.
5. Provide ISS ATCS support for utilization, future utilizations including but not limited to architectural studies/assessments as related to Node 2 and Node 3 interfaces.
6. Provide other ISS subsystems information as related to design documentation, integrated drawings, part drawings and "as-built" items such as ATCS equipment serial numbers, locations, etc.
7. Provide support to the ISS ATCS (and other subsystems) Mission Evaluation and Response (MER) support operations.
8. Develop/evaluate ISS Change Requests and coordinate dispositions with ISS Special Problems and Resolution Teams and Program boards and panels (such as the Multi-lateral Vehicle Control Board, the Space Station Program Control Board and Safety & Mission Assurance Board).
9. Provide systems management and technical support to the MSFC International Space Station (ISS) Office relevant to NASA Docking System (NDS) and ISS Payload environmental testing performed at MSFC.
10. Provide systems management support for ISS environmental testing performed at MSFC including coordination and management of requirements between the test requestor and the performing environmental test facilities.
11. Provide support for technical reviews of hardware delivery schedules and test facility schedules. Identify risks associated with test schedules and facilitate resolution of schedule conflicts including recommended risk mitigation strategies.
12. Perform post-test variance assessments for changes to the baselined statement of work including hardware/test schedule deviations, projected versus actual hardware delivery dates, requirement/scope changes and technical non conformances resulting in retest activities.
13. Perform technical review of ISS documentation as requested including review of test procedures for compliance with requirements and the baselined statement of work. Provide comments and technical feedback as necessary.
14. Provide support for technical assessment of ISS Payload verification for MSFC responsible hardware. Prepare, review, and submit compliance packages in accordance with MSFC Project(s) Configuration and Data Management Plans.
B.S. degree in Engineering or related field from an ABET accredited institution with a minimum of 20 years experience is required. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
Systems engineering and integration (SE&I) experience supporting the ISS Active Thermal Control System and ISS NDS/Payload Environmental Testing is required. SE&I experience to include knowledge and experience in working interfaces, requirements verification, test development and integration, and major program milestone reviews is required. Previous experience working with HEDOO is highly desired.
Office environment. Requires ability to provide clear, concise, accurate and timely communication, both verbally and in writing (100%). Requires ability to interact professionally with co-workers, management, and client (100%). Requires travel in the domestic USA (<15%).
Requires sitting for extended periods of time in meetings with peers, management, and with our client at NASA facilities to discuss technical issues (10%). Also, requires sitting for extended periods of time at a desk to write reports and perform engineering tasks (80%). Requires ability to use stairs or elevators for access between floors and multiple buildings at NASA and Jacobs facilities (10%).
Equipment and Machines
Requires ability to operate a personal computer, a telephone, fax machine, copier, calculator, and other general office equipment (100%).
Normal workday is from 7:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday. Minimal overtime may be required (10%) to meet schedule milestones and to support technical demands of the job. Regular attendance is a necessity and adequate arrangements for delegating duties during absences are required.
Other Essential Functions
The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to make rational decisions, and to exercise good judgment is essential (100%). Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.