The Development Database Specialist manages the design, development, implementation, and maintenance/support of application databases. The Development Database Specialist designs secure databases that provide high performance for business applications.
- Manages the design, development, testing, and implementation of enhancements to existing databases and/or creation of new databases in order to provide an optimum design that satisfies the business requirements
- Develops/improves database standards in order to provide optimum maintenance and consistency across applications
- Manages data modeling in order to ensure that the business data is properly documented and stored in the corporate repository
- Manages performance analysis/application tuning/capacity planning in order to comply with the business needs for availability and increased transaction volumes
- Manages database administration functions (including installation of database software, license management, creation/modification of database servers, account set-up, maintenance, access, and permissions) in order to support project demands
- Creates/maintains database and operational documentation according to BMO and unit standards in order to capture current knowledge (e.g., New business data definitions, Design decisions, and Production procedures)
- Researches opportunities for implementing new Database Management System (DBMS) technology within the Enterprise in order to improve application development efficiency and database performance and availability
- Establishes and maintains key vendor relationships to communicate BMO requirements and maintain productive working relationships
- Possesses a university degree in Computer Science or related fields, and/or7+ years systems analysis, programming, and database experience with extensive business knowledge
- Possesses advanced understanding of database design and development methodology from both an industry and BMO perspective
- Demonstrates advanced understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Possesses solid understanding of Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) concepts
- Exhibits solid understanding of business requirements and of relevant technologies
- Displays solid knowledge of application integration concepts
- Possesses practical experience with various data modeling and performance analysis tools
- At least 7 years of hands-on experience with db2 LUW, and solid knowledge of DB2 LUW, DPF, and HADR. Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and maintain large DB2 databases.
- Solid knowledge of the OS (Linux, AIX, Windows) and shell scripting
- Solid knowledge and practical experience of physical database design, backup recovery best practice/scenarios and security features
- Strong performance tuning expertise for both DB2 OLTP and OLAP databases
- Practical experience with DB2 basic features like utilities, SQL language, query explain plan, large objects (LOBs), triggers, stored procedures (native SQL and external), user-defined functions.
- 2 years or more hands on experience with Netezza
- Experience with banking or other enterprise financial institutions
- Industry certification/professional accreditation (nice to have)
- Possesses advanced analytical skills for complex problem solving
- Is detail oriented with solid organizational skills
- Demonstrates solid communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment on multiple tasks or projects.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to learn new technologies.