Director, Communications & Marketing
5 - 7 years experience • Non-Profit
The Director of Communications & Marketing is a key member of the Chapter Leadership Team, charged with planning and executing the Chapter's annual strategic communications and marketing plan in accordance with the Association's strategic goals around increasing concern and awareness about Alzheimerâ€™s disease.
Essential Job Functions
- Participates in the Chapter's annual strategic planning process as it pertains to communications and marketing; develop annual communications/marketing plan(s) and calendar(s).
- Develops, implements and monitors the Chapter's marketing budget.
- Supervises the Communications & Outreach Specialist and communications volunteers and interns.
- Leads and inspires collaboration among staff on all outreach campaigns.
- Acts as staff liaison to the Chapter's Communications & Marketing Committee Serves as a resource for other chapters in Region 1 (e.g. managing web presence for the new chapter in Alaska, offering guidance and assistance to counterparts in Oregon and Idaho).
Communications & Marketing
- Strengthens momentum of Alzheimer's movement by increasing concern and awareness about Alzheimer's disease through the priority activities articulated in the Strategic Plan.
- Creates and executes communications outreach and marketing campaigns.
- Leads the development of all Chapter publications, materials and audiovisual projects.
- Collaborates with Leadership Team and other Chapter staff to determine what materials and information are needed for specific Chapter projects, and coordinates production.
- Manages Chapter web projects and enhanced social media presence, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Plus, and Chapter blog.
- Manages adherence to branding and messaging standards for internal and external communications.
- Directs and organizes Chapter's messaging, and ensures consistency of messaging throughout the Chapter.
- Orchestrates and manages Chapter's response to and involvement with National awareness campaigns.
- Manages relationships and communications projects with staff, vendors, freelancers, communications volunteers and interns.
- Builds relationships with colleagues in professional organizations to work jointly on campaigns and identify media opportunities.
- Represents the Association at public events, fundraisers and media events, as appropriate.
- Provides communications and speaker training as needed.
- Develops and maintains strong, productive relationships with members of the media across the Chapter's expanded service area of Washington State and Northern Idaho.
- Directs and oversees all public relations activities and establishes ways to position the Chapter as a leader in Alzheimer's care and support, and public policy.
- Identifies opportunities to promote Chapter initiatives, programs and events.
- Seeks opportunities to respond to news stories related to national or local programs, services, and activities.
- Aligns with national media campaigns to create local media opportunities.
- Serves as primary Chapter contact for basic media requests for information and facilitates media interviews with Chapter spokespeople.
- Complies with all Association policies, procedures, standards, and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Supports and participates in Association events, including but not limited to the Walk to End Alzheimer's, Reason to Hope, and chapter conferences, as requested.
- Supports and participates in formal advocacy and public policy activities as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Public Relations, English, Journalism, Communications or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in marketing, communications and public relations
- Familiarity with Alzheimer's and related dementias, and/or aging and health issues is preferred
- Proven media relations experience and demonstrated news coverage placements; ability to be creative in identifying and executing media opportunities
- Proven experience in managing successful social mediacampaigns
- Effective cross-cultural communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated superior writing, copyediting and proofreading skills
- Ability to supervise, motivate and evaluate direct reports, volunteers and interns
- Requires high degree of original and independent thinking and resourcefulness in originating and developing complex methods, procedures, techniques, product or ideas in new and undefined areas
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Apps and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to analyze information and make timely, appropriate decisions
- Ability to collaborate and work well as part of a team; flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to work independently and succeed in dynamic fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, diplomacy, and initiative
- Excellent problem solving and strategic thinking skills
- Absolute commitment to confidentiality
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to travel locally and regionally as needed to perform job duties
- Possesses valid Washington State driver's license, access to reliable vehicle, and proof of insurance