The Director of Food & Beverage is responsible for the legal, efficient, professional, and profitable Food and Beverage operations at City Springs for both catering and concessions. City Springs consists of a 1,100 seat Performing Arts Center, 400 seat Studio Theatre, Conference Center and Rooftop Terrace bar, Outdoor Greenspace, CityBar., and Sandy Springs City Hall. This individual ultimately oversees every f/t and p/t position, and ensures full compliance with state and federal labor laws, sanitation and food-related ordinances, as well as alcohol service regulations.
- Ensure legal, efficient, professional, and profitable Food and Beverage operations at the City Springs for both Catering and Concessions.
- Sell and up sell food and beverage services to all clients having an event at facility.
- Assist Director of Programing and operations department with client meetings and timely response to client proposals as needed.
- Monitor and assist with Concessions operations as needed to insure profitable, efficient, and positively received experiences for guests.
- Insure that banquet client satisfaction level is achieved and regularly exceeded, and to take any corrective action necessary if not.
- Hires, trains, and supervises the work of service (catering, concessions, kitchen) and Catering Sales staff to ensure proper standards are being achieved
- Schedules and coordinates the work of service staff, and other employees to ensure service is economical and technically correct.
- Conflict resolution; last-resort mediation; arbitration and labor negotiations, when applicable.
- Prepares necessary data for the budget in area of responsibility (including projections, forecasting, revenue analysis, wage and salary control); monitors annual food and labor costs projections against actual financial results; takes corrective action where necessary to help ensure that financial goals are met.
- Establishes controls to minimize food, beverage and supply waste and theft.
- Works with Operations/Engineering departments on equipment maintenance and supplies.
- Evaluate recent historical sales and purchasing data for the purpose of identifying purchasing patterns and accurate cost of goods.
- Program and maintain the point of sale system to ensure accurate financialreporting, tracking of accountability, and commodity levels by location.
- Provides each food and beverage staff member with the proper direction and follows up on all assignments.
- Prepares requiredreports accurately and submits them on time, follows up with department heads to ensure that their reporting is completed within the same guidelines.
- Gives staff clear direction, and provides the necessary assistance for them to provide them to perform their work.
- Evaluates each manager’s performance and makes recommendations for their improvement.
- Reviews and assists in the development of menus and marketing plans with the appropriate department.
- Establishes and maintains personal relationships with show managers, suppliers, vendors and the public that projects the venue in a positive light.
- Protects the operating assets of City Springs.
- Conducts regular physical inventories of food and beverage supplies and equipment and provides an assessment on projected needs.
- Evaluates food & beverage products to ensure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation and cleanliness are maintained throughout all areas of food and beverage operations at all times (banquet rooms, concessions stands, and kitchen/support areas).
- Responsible for insuring that City and State licenses remain in compliance with all laws applicable to food and beverage operations.
- Work within the established Policy and Procedures of City Springs, but adjust within reason to a given situation.
- Coordinate with other departments on event logistics, as needed, with relation to food and beverage/kitchen operations
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate with employees, co-workers, volunteers, management staff and guests in a clear, professional and courteous manner which fosters a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Ability to make sound business/operations decisions quickly and under pressure.
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English.
- Solid working knowledge of computer applications: Microsoft office, POS systems, timekeeping systems.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented, fast-paced, event-driven environment.
- Possess a thorough working knowledge of all existing concessions and premium services locations: geographical location, equipment, evacuation procedures, adjacent employee and guest areas, and facility access.
- Possess valid Food Handlers certificate and Alcohol Service Permit if required by state or local government.
- Possess thorough working knowledge of all applicable sanitation requirements, food preparation guidelines, alcohol service policies, safety standards, etc.
- Ability to calculate basic and complex math functions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages).
- Ability to handle cash accurately and responsibly.
- Ability to consistently adhere to the highest standards of integrity, professionalism, ethics and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
Education and Experience:
- MA or MS; BA or BS with business-related major; accounting minor or credits preferred.
- Minimum 5years management experience in food-related or concessions industry.
- Nationally recognized, advanced food service sanitation training course certification.
Intellectual/Social, Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions
of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is continuously asked to multi-task under time limits. Position requires constant attention to precise details and accuracy of specified standards including: following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. Employees in this role will constantly be in leadership role; this requires directing others either verbally or in writing to complete tasks in prescribed time frame. This position also requires constant use of interpersonal skills including: ability to direct/motivate/inform staff and foster collaboration, being able to recognize and resolve conflicts, being able to openly communicate in writing and verbally with clients.
- While performing the essential functions of the job, the employee constantly moves about the Facilities before/during/after events to service clients and supervise staff; constantly communicates via telephone, email and in-person with others and exchange accurate information; occasionally required to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy items (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing and walking. Must be able to work safely in an environment containing caustic chemicals, cleaning materials, debris, dust, and trash.
- The essential functions of this position are usually performed indoors and outdoors in the weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environments is usually moderate to loud during events and minimal during non-event times.
Job ID 2017-2947