MORNING SHOW NEWS DIRECTOR
TEGNA’s powerhouse #1 NBC station on the scenic New England coast is looking for an experienced and creative visionary to take our morning news content to the next level. Our ideal candidate has proven experience successfully identifying great, impactful content, teaching others how to do so, and developing a roadmap to meet the goals of our company.
You are running the newsroom during this daypart as a member of the station’s key leadership team, developing and executing strategies that strengthen our staff, our content and our relationship with the community.
You have strong leadership skills, the ability to make quick editorial decisions, solid news judgment. You’re a great writer and possess the ability to produce great content.
You’ll work collaboratively to guide teams in creating engaging newscasts, as well as unique, shareable content that evokes emotion across all platforms (broadcast, mobile, social).
Specifically, the Morning News Director is expected to:
- Create bold and innovative local television, digital and social media content
- Think differently and critically
- Manage multiple newscasts to ensure the brand promise and strategies are met
- Plan for original enterprise, special report coverage for on-air, online and social platforms and coordinate with news leadership team
- Share in strategic planning, oversight and execution of big projects and initiatives
- Coach and inspire on-air talent, digital and production teams
- Identify daily opportunities to have our news get noticed and reach new audiences
- Write and teach staff to write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner for broadcast
- Coach journalists how to write and create compelling content for digital
- Teach staff to develop content through social listening and independent sources
- Attention to detail for accuracy and clarity
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content
- Participates in daily post-mortem meetings which involves critiquing that day’s shows and growing/developing talent.
- College degree with 3-5 years’ previous news management experiencepreferred.
- Must be a great communicator and a strong leader.
- Excellent organizational, decision making, and problem solving skills.
- Must possess solid news judgment and be able to work calmly under deadline pressures.
WCSH 6 offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, vision, EAP, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, holiday, paid time off, and 401(k).
WCSH 6 is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.