Quality Assurance Manager
The Quality Manager will provide manufacturing focus in the areas of quality management systems, quality assurance/scrap reduction and continuous improvement.
In addition, the QA Manager will assure consistent quality of production by improving and enforcing established technical and operational quality management systems: quality control via product inspection, process validation and auditing;
Gauge management including requirements definition and calibrations; process capability and development support; document control / change management; and continuous improvement from data collection to smaller scale corrective action projects.
This is a key technical role driving accountability and operational excellence, fostering teamwork while managing multiple individual responsibilities in a high volume, high pressure environment.
• Lead the Quality Management System according to ISO 9001
• Determine overall plant product quality through both functional testing and dimensional inspections. Utilize a variety of testing equipment, including but not limited to dial/digital calipers, dial indicators, micrometers, and optical comparators.
• Audit plant procedures and ensure standard work instructions are up to date
• Assist Engineering in defining appropriate gauging and inspection methods for manufacturing processes and finished inspection specifications
• Responsible for scheduling/maintaining tools essential to quality inspections plant wide
• Administer technical training and support for inspection methods
• Conduct data collection, root cause analysis and corrective action efforts, collaborating with production and engineering
• Prioritize & discuss quality issues with plant management, and make recommendations for improvement and corrections
• Drive continuous improvement of manufacturing process and overall plant quality systems utilizing Lean manufacturing and Six Sigma methodologies
• Support cost reduction and productivity programs related to process methods and technology
• Works closely with the operations team to propagate the principals of Flow and Lean Manufacturing
• Assists in the R&D process to insure feasibility and manufacturability
• Produce positive project results through solid data gathering and measurement tools
• Supervise and lead Quality Team
Position requires a self-starting, highly motivated individual with better than average planning and time management skills. High level of attention-to-detail and willingness to challenge the status quo with supporting data are critical to success of role. Works within a rapidly changing facility driven by a continuous improvement culture.
The environment consists of management and hourly factory skilled and non-skilled personnel, with special emphasis on practicing team principles..
• Bachelor degree in Manufacturing, Industrial Technology, Quality or equivalent related experience; preferably in high volume manufacturing
• 10 years of experience supporting Quality and Manufacturing functions
• 5 years of experience supervising others
• Ability to interpret engineering drawings and specifications (knowledge of GD&T)
• Analytical and problem solving skills, with an emphasis on a “hands on” approach
• Strong and persistent drive to deliver positive results
• Working knowledge of measuring equipment including, but not limited to micrometers, calipers, and gauges
• Able to communicate well in English with both operators and management, written and verbal. Must be able to effectively present information in one-on-one situations
• Strong computer skills; capable of using MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access
• Master’s Degree (Business, Engineering, Quality Systems or other applicable)
• Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma methods; familiarity with quality methods such as ANOVA, DOE, fishbone diagrams, pareto/control charts and FMEA, GR&R, Cp/Cpk
• Understanding of statistical process control, acquaintance with quality software such as MINITAB or JMP
• Familiarity with ISO 9000, Intensive experience leading a QMS according to ISO 9001
• Experience in problem solving methods – 5 Whys, Fishbone, 8D, QRQC …
• Process control engineering w/SPC
• Calibration System experience
• Consumer Products industry experience
• Strong machining background