Business and Events Development Director
Located in the heart of the Toronto’s Entertainment District, The Second City’s Mainstage Theatre offers 2,200 sq ft of unique event space that can accommodate up to 300 guests. The Second City Training Centre located in the same building features the 60 seat John Candy Box Theatre as well as 7 studio spaces to accommodate multiple breakout sessions. The venue is equipped to be a dynamic and functional choice for a wide range of meetings and events in Toronto. Further, we have a local bench of the nation’s best creative and production talent to enhance any engagement. Combining the features of our facility with the capabilities of our talent network opens up a limitless range of opportunities for Second City to be a go-to in the events industry.
Whether in conjunction with our space or at a client’s location, this role will also be part of the team bringing Second City Works’ solutions to companies across North America. These solutions enable companies to better engage customers and employees by connecting the expertise and talent of The Second City to the expertise and talent of each business. Those who match well to this role excel at discovering opportunities, articulating abstract ideas, recognizing patterns, and collaborating internally as well as they do with clients. Like The Second City itself, our success with Second City Works is built on exploration, collaboration and saying “yes, and” to our partners. The opportunity for our Business Development Directors is to make companies more productive by leveraging the differentiating tenets, techniques and talent of The Second City.
- Position The Second City as a prime destination for meetings and events in Toronto
- Identify and close companies in the Greater Toronto Area with solutions on how our facilities and team can deliver unique and compelling event programming
- Network with relevant industry associations (Speakers’ bureaus, Tourism Toronto, BEICC/MMB, CAEM, and other helpful abbreviations) to ensure Second City is in the right conversations
- Identify, consult with and close Second City Works prospects with on or off-site engagements, discovering opportunities where we could be a strategic long-term partner
- Educate prospects on SCW: who we are, our capabilities, and how we are uniquely equipped to improve engagement and connection with any business’s employees or customers
- Manage all phases of the sales lifecycle across a variety of sales scenarios (new prospects, re-activations, growth within existing accounts)
- Partner with Client Services and Creative Talent to customize client programs and solutions, ensuring that we deliver on our promises
- 5+ years of consistent sales success, with majority of annual quota ($1M+) coming from new business
- Experience in Toronto corporate meetings and events sales, having generated strategic relationships with organizations, associations, and business owners
- Experience selling products or services to Fortune 1000 leaders, navigating multiple stakeholders across an organization
- Successful experience selling repeat or subscription-based solutions with expansion opportunities
- In addition to events or hospitality salesexperience, preference given to those coming from sales roles in: Human Capital / Talent Management, Ethics & Compliance, Brand Marketing or Consumer Insights
- Evidence of closing key accounts where others have missed, via alternative approaches or solutions
- Proven reliability to self-manage schedule, targets and timelines
- Communication skills that make other people envious; collaboration skills that make teammates thankful
- Certified Special Events Professional (CSEP) certification or equivalent impressive expertise a plus
- Demonstrated sales success due to inquisitiveness, resilience and/or likeability. Preferably all 3.
More about Second City Works
Second City Works is the business solutions side of The Second City, the world’s leading comedy theatre and school of improvisation. We serve more than 600 clients –including nearly 25% of the Fortune 500– through hands-on learning, licensed and co-created video, consumer insight programs, and custom live entertainment. When businesses engage Second City Works they develop unique insights and skills to better collaborate and create with their colleagues and customers. With clients across multiple industries, more than 4 million of their employees viewing our video content globally, and a Net Promoter Score of 82, we are positioned to expand our role as a strategic partner to make work better.