To manage the overall operations of the Nursing Department in accordance with Company policies, standards of nursing practices and governmental regulations so as to maintain excellent care of all residents’ needs.
- Registered nurse in good standing with required current state license.
- Minimum two (2) years experience in geriatrics/long-term care.
- Working knowledge of long-term care regulations.
- Restorative care philosophy, excellent professional skills (both assessment and hands-on), and good communication and organizational skills.
- Significant technical experience and demonstrated leadership/management skills.
- Relate positively and favorably to residents, families, and government regulators, and to work cooperatively with other employees at all levels.
- Relate to and work with the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people within the facility.
- Perform the essential job functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Function independently, and have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with residents, personnel, and support agencies.
- Basic computer knowledge and ability to learn computer software.
Essential Job Functions
This facility expects their employees to promote an atmosphere of teamwork with other employees and hospitality and comfort for its residents. Therefore, the following list of duties is not all-inclusive:
- Participate in facility surveys (inspections) made by authorized governmental agencies.
- In the absence of the Administrator and Assistant Administrator (if applicable), assume responsibility of the facility.
- Oversee the employee health program in cooperation with the Medical Director and Staff Development Coordinator.
- Monitor the Level of Care Reports, Dietary Consultant Reports, and Pharmacy Consultant Reports and take appropriate actions.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate and direct the nursing services department, as well as its programs and activities, in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines that govern the long-term care facility.
- Assume administrative authority, responsibility and accountability for all functions, activities, and training of the nursing department.
- Organize, develop, and direct the administration and resident care of the nursing service department
- Participate in Department Supervisor Meetings, Resident Care Plan Meetings, Budget Committee Meetings, Safety Committee Meetings, Quality Assessment and Assurance Committee Meetings, In-service Education, Family Council and any other meeting as directed by the Administrator.
- Meet daily with Director of Admissions/Marketing, Business Office Manager, and Administrator regarding admission and placement of proposed residents. Evaluate prospective residents in terms of the nursing service they need and the capability of the facility to supply the needed service.
- Meet monthly with nursing staff regarding Chart Audit and Physician’s orders. Review audit with Medical Records prior to submitting to Administration.
- Interview, orient, train, evaluate and supervise nursing department personnel.
- Delegate to nursing service supervisory personnel the administrative authority, responsibility, and accountability necessary to perform their assigned duties.
- Make daily rounds of the nursing department to verify that all nursing service personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
- Provide appropriate departmental in-service education programs in compliance with Corporate, State and Federal guidelines.
- Work closely with Administrator in resolving grievances with nursing staff, family members, and residents.
Nursing Care Functions
- Perform nursing services and deliver resident care services in compliance with Corporate policies and State and Federal regulations.
- Inform state of any reportable incidents within appropriate time frames. Complete investigative analysis as required.
- Monitor medication passes and treatment schedules to verify that medications are being administered as ordered and that treatments are provided as scheduled.
- Provide direct nursing care, as necessary.
- Regularly inspect the facility and nursing practices for compliance with federal, state, and local standards and regulations.
- Study Infection Control Reports, Medication Incident Reports and Resident Incident Reports for corrective action.
- Keep Administrator informed on a daily basis of nursing department functions, recommending changes in techniques or procedures for a more efficient operation.
- Review discharge summaries on a timely basis.
Safety and Sanitation
- Monitor nursing service personnel to verify that they are following established safety regulations in the use of equipment and supplies.
- Provide that all nursing service personnel follow established departmental policies and procedures, including appropriate dress codes.
- Be on call for emergencies that supervisory personnel cannot handle.
- Assure proper handling and emergency care of residents, personnel, and visitors while on the job or in the building.
- Assure residents a comfortable, clean, orderly and safe environment.
- Comply with, support and enforce Company policies involving all safety and infection control procedures to include the proper use of mechanical lifts and gait belts.
Equipment and Supply Functions
- Monitor stock level of medications, medical supplies, equipment, etc., to verify they are maintained on premises at all times to adequately meet the needs of the resident.
- Create and implement procedures for department equipment to be operated only by trained, authorized personnel in a safe manner.
- Develop and implement procedures for nursing supplies to be used in an efficient manner to avoid waste.
- Work closely with Central Supply to be sure changes are made on a timely basis and that inventory is current and medical-nursing supplies are adequate on the nursing stations.
Care Plan and Assessment Functions, Documentation
- Verify that medical and nursing care is administered in accordance with the resident’s wishes, including the implementation of advance directives.
- Assist with development of and approve final version of the Interdisciplinary Plan of Care for each resident in coordination with the physician, Medical Director, nursing staff, and outside consultants (i.e., nursing, dietary, pharmacy, therapists, etc.) and in accordance with corporate, state and federal guidelines.
- Confirm accurate completion of forms/reports for the admission, transfer and/or discharge of each resident including, but not limited to, the nursing portion of the PAE, Initial Nursing Assessment, Minimum Data Set (MDS), Resident Care Plan, and the Annual MDS.
- Review and verify that documentation procedures for nursing are met according to corporate, state and federal guidelines.
- Review nurses notes to confirm that they are informative and descriptive of the nursing care being provided, that they reflect the resident’s response to the care, and that such care is provided in accordance with the resident’s wishes.
- Review Quality Indicator reports and submit to Vice President of Clinical Services on a monthly basis.
Budget and Planning Functions
- Assist in preparing and planning the nursing service department’s budget and submit to the Administrator for his/her review, recommendations, and/or approval.
- Recommend to the Administrator the equipment and supply needs of the nursing department.
- Be conscious of cost and attempt to provide quality staff for the nursing department within budgetary constraints.
Facility Privacy Officer Functions
- Provides oversight of facility’s compliance with HIPPA and state regulations to properly maintain the privacy and security of private health information to include:
- Maintenance and oversight of medical records to ensure that policies and procedures are followed when disclosures are made.
- Oversight of facility staff related to proper communications with families and visitors and protection of electronically maintained PHI.
- Consult with the Corporate Privacy Officer with respect to any breach or as issues arise.