Reporting to the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, the Assistant Dean of Student Success will work in collaboration with the central Division of Enrollment and Student Success. This role is a new senior leadership position responsible for ensuring exceptional student outcomes during the initial years through graduation for all students enrolled in Humanities, the Sciences, Mathematics, and the Social Sciences.
Syracuse University’s College of Arts and Sciences, the largest of the University’s 11 academic units, believes that strong academic and career advising is central to student success. Overseeing a team of professional advisors and administrators and working cooperatively with the faculty, the Assistant Dean will have primary responsibility to ensure that the quality and effectiveness of the academic and career advising program fully embraces the College’s mission, values, and strategic goals. The Assistant Dean will have an understanding of the philosophy behind a liberal arts education and the ability to communicate the value of a liberal arts education to students and the advising team.
• Master’s degreerequired, Ph.D. preferred, in counseling, higher education or a related field.
• A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in collegiate academic and career advising including experience leading a large staff.
• Strong team building skills to provide collaborative leadership within the team, throughout the College, and with other key stakeholders on campus.
• Possess an understanding of the philosophy behind a liberal arts education.
• Ability to communicate the value of a liberal arts education to students and the advising team.
• Ability to demonstrate successful outcomes through measures such as academic progress, persistence, retention, and completion.
• Current experience with the use of data in advising required; experience in data analytics software preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proven ability to lead and drive change.
• Dynamic interpersonal talents that incorporate a collaborative work style.
• Exceptional leadership skills with ability to manage people and results within a complex organizational structure.
• Possess strong commitment to students and the overall mission to help students progress successfully through college.
• In close collaboration with the A&S leadership team, create a comprehensive plan for providing 1) academic and career advising practices, 2) continuing education in advising for professional advisors as well as faculty who advise in academic majors, and 3) the use of data analytics to inform advising and improve student persistence and completion.
• Spearhead new initiatives aimed at strengthening student success including the identification and implementation of enhanced protocols for student success and connect students’ academic interests with career outcomes.
• Oversee the College’s advising initiatives, assessment of advising, advising training and professional development, advising technology, and collaborative programming among academic units.
• Oversee pre-health and pre-law advisory programs.
• Integrate technology, people and processes, monitor student outcomes and trends, and facilitate actions to ensure successful outcomes.
• Facilitate seamless integration of the student experience from the point of admission through registration, course enrollment, transfers, completion, and career placement for the College by collaborating with Admissions, Academic Support Services, and the Division of Enrollment & Student Experience, and others.
• Ensure that advisors receive cross training on academic programs, career guidance, financial aid, learning support, student services and other core institutional support services.
• Collaborate with the Dean, Cabinet, Advising Staff and College Faculty to accurately assess student support and service needs and develop plans to address these needs.
• Address student and parent concerns in a professional and satisfactory manner.
• Lead a team of five direct reports with a total staff of over 25 employees.
• Develop and manage the budget for Student Success.