ATEP (Arconic Titanium and Engineered Products) is a world-class producer of titanium aero ingots and mill products—and a leader in multi-material airframe subassemblies and advanced technologies and materials, such as 3D printing and titanium aluminides. Titanium is the world’s fastest-growing aerospace metal, and we’re taking it to greater heights with vertically integrated capabilities and deep materials science expertise. Our engineered products and solutions help build the world’s most advanced aircraft—and also help protect our troops and power our world.
The Senior Melting Process Control & Automation Engineer will report to the Group Engineering Manager Titanium Segment and will develop & implement process control & automation (PC&A) applications & strategic framework across all melting platforms based on a process control vision including development of control and automation systems regarding the design, specifications, programming, testing, documentation, and support of Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), and higher level supervisory control applications. Emphasis will also be placed on project management & installation of capital equipment used in the melting & manufacture of titanium mill products.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide technical leadership in the development of new PC&A strategies in support of business unit goals.
- Provide direct support to operations & maintenance to diagnose/troubleshoot controls system hardware/software problems and integration issues, and develop resources to address existing needs and ongoing growth requirements.
- Establish & provide technical leadership focused on titanium melting process requirements & specifications
- Establish and ensure appropriate process control standards and specifications are being met, address and support migration to a reliable, scalable infrastructure relative to Titanium Segment business unit needs.
- Ensure appropriate interface and migration of corporate IT functionality relative to PC&A, as well as network, security, and back up requirements are satisfied.
- Provide technical leadership in the migration of outsourced service activity to internal control of PC&A functions while positioning internal capabilities to support business growth.
- Develop project scope and prepare/manage design reports, specifications, cost estimate, cash flow forecast, budget, and implementation of Capital & Expense Appropriation Projects.
- Provide expertise, guidance, and direction in the functional design and implementation of PC&A applications including process control equipment strategies from Level 1 through Level 4 systems, ie. input/output devices, PLCs, supervisory controls, Manufacturing Execution System (MES), and data base applications, as well as interface to business system functions.
- Facilitate solution development in support of operational strategies through discussion with key stakeholders and utilize appropriate documentation in order to create and communicate design requirements.
- Manage ongoing vendor activities as well monitor potential vendor development of new automation applications, ensure compliance with technical specifications, and communicate with applicable business unit leaders.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution;
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in Engineering;
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (I.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee;
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- BE/BS in ElectricalEngineering or related engineering/computer control discipline.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of engineering leadership experience in design and construction of PC&A, preferably in a heavy manufacturing/metals environment.
- Must have a strong technical knowledge in the fundamentals of controls engineering and controls systems, and a basic knowledge of various levels and interfaces to information technology.
- Thorough understanding of machine process control and advanced process control techniques and how they can be applied to monitor, control, predict, and improve plant operating performance.
- Experience in integrating DCS/PLC capabilities and output to enterprise manufacturing systems
- Project management certification a plus
- Knowledge of non-ferrous metals melting platforms (vacuum arc remelt, plasma, electron beam) a plus
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem solve, and perform root cause analyses
- Strong communication, computer skills, and organizational skills