We have an opportunity for an entry level software engineer within the Missile Defense & Surveillance Software Department in Huntsville, Alabama in support of multiple programs and/or Internal Research and Development (IRAD) projects. Our software teams employ a combination of traditional and AgileScrum processes to rapidly design, code, and integrate capabilities on a continuous basis into a mature solution for our customers. We strive for technical excellence by drawing upon a diverse workforce whose knowledge base covers the complete spectrum of modern computing languages and platforms.
The successful candidate will be integrated into a small to medium sized software team performing software development, integration, and testing of real-time systems. The candidate will be responsible for hands-on technical work including designing, implementing, debugging and resolving problems with the real-time software applications, as well as supporting software integration and verification efforts. Our software applications are developed using the C++ programming language executing on a variety of computing platforms running Linux/Unix operating systems.
Our software is developed and delivered incrementally using traditional as well as Agile development methods, including Scrum, automated testing, and continuous integration. The candidate may be an active participant on a Scrum team, performing development tasks independently.
–U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
Key responsibilities for the qualified candidate include:
- Enthusiastic and energetic performer able to work in a challenging, dynamic, and fast paced environment
- Limited use and/or application of basic principles, theories, and concepts of Software Engineering
- Develop solutions to routine technical problems of limited scope
- Contribute to the completion of program and project milestones under the guidance of immediate supervisor
- Work closely with and communicate effectively with other team members to achieve program success
- Established verbal and written communication skills to successfully support peer reviews and associated software system documentation
- Zero to two years object-oriented software development experience using C/C++
- Implementation of a classroom or professional project using C/C++ and/or Java/J2EE on a Unix/Linux or Windows operating system
- Experience with software development tools; code editors, debuggers, code generators, and test
- Experience using modern software design methodologies
- Experience with or knowledge of Agile software development
- Experience with standard MS-Office tools for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations
- Experience with or knowledge of the SEI CMMI model
- Knowledge of or experience with UML, service oriented architectures, model driven development, real time and/or embedded software, communications methods and protocols, and system security-hardening
- Experience in Graphical User Interface design and implementation
- Experience with development using the Java programming language
- Experience with Microsoft Visual Studio
- Experience with Matlab development
These positions can be a salary grade G06 or G07 based on the candidate's qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position.
Required Education (including Major):
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mathematics. Minimum cum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
Masters of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, ElectricalEngineering, or Mathematics. Minimum cum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale. 103356