Under general supervision the system engineer is responsible for handling the configuration/administration of systems across Stifel. Systems would include, but not limited to a single server to a full server farm. He/she would need to have a good understanding of machine/server architecture both physical and virtual. Furthermore, a systems engineer would need to be able to clearly explain/diagram his/her ideas tomanagement as well as other team members.
- Follow Stifel build standards & procedures when setting up environments.
- Exercise one’s ability to take a project from the beginning and seeing it through to production.
- Responsible for the web administrative needs of Stifel (IIS, Tomcat, etc).
- Responsible for laying out quality server build architecture and being able to understand/trouble shoot faulty architecture.
- Able to administer virtual environments effectively and have a good understanding of why to virtual an environment as well as when to use a virtual environment.
- Have a good understanding of storage administration. As products are built and configured, part ofunderstanding a product is figuring out how much storage is need as well as what kind of access to that storage is needed for optimum IO.
- Responsible for having a good handle on system architecture that a server environment has a solid ecosystem.
- Continue to stay on top of the latest technologies and see how they can be applied to Stifel’s needs throughout the organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, computer Science or Computer Information Sciences or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 3 year experience of system administration which would include bu not limited to great working knowledge if IIS, Tomcat, physical and virtual environments.
- A good understanding of Active Directory and how it relates to the servers/systems that one is administrating.
- Must have a good understanding of DNS, standard TCP/IP, and subnetting.
- Excellent communication skills, analyzing abilities, and trouble shooting skills.
- Ability to multi-task to address multiple and often conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to demonstrate proactive approach to problem resolution, strong troubleshooting, and problem solving skills
- A great understanding of load balancing and experience with load testing environments.
- Knowledge of permissioning of environment such as SQL, IIS, etc.
- Skilled in good scripting practices and knowing how/when to utilizes scripts and PowerShell.
- Ability to manage priorities, deadlines and tasks in order to meet deadlines and to accomplish goals.
- Understanding of BI operations such as SSAS and SSRS.
- Good knowledge base of common web/system security practices.
- Base understanding of SharePoint administration (deep SharePoint administration knowledge would be a plus).
- Knowledge of how to properly setup up message queues and a good understanding of SMTP relaying.
- Must have a solid foundation of the Microsoft Server platforms (2008 & 2012).