Please review the job details below.
DigitalGlobe, Inc. is seeking an experienced Chief Architect who will serve as a key member of the technical leadership team and reports to the CTO/Founder. The primary role of this leader is to ensure that DigitalGlobe adopts and delivers upon a technical architecture framework (the “Enterprise Architecture” or “EA”) that allows it to function efficiently, scale, and grow.
This visionary professional will have a broad background including solid business acumen, solution architecture, technical architecture, software/systems engineering (including direct software development experience), cloud computing, and Agile methodologies to drive architecture, design and integration for key initiatives. The Chief Architect will manage the intersection of our business and technical imperatives across our Platform, Services and Imagery Business Units. The Chief Architect will have a strong mix of technical, communication and leadership skills that will significantly enhance the productivity and effectiveness of our company.
The Chief Architect will lead a small team of direct reports, and will work closely with other architectural leaders, Product Management, and business leaders to ensure that the business strategy, along with any relevant trends, is expressed in all DigitalGlobe processes and systems. Responsibilities include the creation, maintenance and management of EA models and their lower level components (e.g., business applications, enablement platforms, and infrastructure configuration, and key operating processes). The Chief Architect will also participate in decision making on future looking activities such as R&D or proof-of-concept investments.
- Define and implement DigitalGlobe’s corporate strategy for the development of all EA work processes and methodologies.
- Participate in the analysis, evaluation and development of enterprise long-term strategic and operating plans to ensure that the EA objectives are consistent with the enterprise’s long-term business objectives.
- Lead technology architecture activities by directing Architecture Working Groups comprised of direct reports and indirect reports (key experts from specific domains).
- Define and enforce architecture strategy and standards for key systems and platforms. In this capacity, the Chief Architect will be a review (and as necessary, an approval) authority for design, development or procurement decisions that impact the EA.
- Shares industry best practices, lessons learned and constantly updates the technical system architecture requirements based on changing technologies, and knowledge related to recent, current and upcoming vendor products and solutions.
- Collaborates with all relevant parties in order to review the objectives and constraints of each solution and determine conformance with the EA.
- Identifies and recommends areas appropriate for further study and participates in any Proof of Concept projects required to thoroughly investigate architectural possibilities and strengthen arguments for their adoption.
- Identifies implementation risks associated with architectural gaps or concerns, and works with the appropriate technical team(s) to analyze potential impact on the enterprise and on the achievement of business objectives.
- Recommends and participates in the design and implementation of standards, tools and architectural methodologies.
- Be a visionary; define and clearly communicate current and future states of the architecture, and how we get from one to the other to support our business goals.
- Work closely with technical and product leadership to define technical strategy and design solutions to optimally address current and future business requirements and infrastructure plans.
- Establish strong, productive relationships with company's leadership to ensure the use of technologies are well understood. Act as a conduit for questions and information flow, when those outside of the technology team have ideas for new technology applications.
- Define, deliver and enforce an architectural roadmap for the products and internal systems, accounting for existing technical debt, any development bottlenecks, and aspirational architecture initiatives to drive revenue, optimize cost structure and general support established business goals. This roadmap will both guide as well as leverage work done by architecture and product teams embedded in the business units.
- Guide architecture and technology of enterprise-class solutions by partnering in design, establishing standards and best practices and coordinating across multiple technical teams to enforce their usage, measuring effectiveness over time.
- Participate in implementations of architectural initiatives and proof of concepts when appropriate, especially in complex designs or problems. Participate in internal hackathons. Participate in design reviews.
- Make others great by coaching and mentoring the architectural and product development staff. Be the leader everyone aspires to have with clear expectations for the team, and the feedback to prove it.
Qualifications, Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical discipline, with a strong preference for computer science or related degree. Advanced degree is a plus. Equivalent work experience will be considered as an alternative.
- Must have personal experience developing software.
- 15+ years overall experience, 5+ years in a senior Architect role or equivalent. Breadth of knowledge is a strong plus.
- Cloud computing experience required, AWS experience strongly preferred.
- Expertise in the creation and management of technology architecture models.
- Excellent communication skills. Communicates complex matters simply.
- Ability to build relationships, lead and influence across organizational and cultural boundaries.
- Aptitude and interest to learn new and emerging business and technologies.
- Proven ability to work with cross-functional teams and ability to influence and drive consensus, or if consensus is not possible, to decide and drive alignment.
- Demonstrates love for coding and technology and appreciates that the best way to discover new capabilities is by using them.
- Experience in the accreditation of secure systems is desirable.
- Ability to travel to key DigitalGlobe locations; more travel is anticipated initially to build key relationships, reducing over time.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Willingness and ability to obtain a US Government security clearance.
- Westminster, CO or Herndon, VA