Req #: 9222
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The global Information Technology (IT) Function is leading efforts to align IT and Business Strategy, leverage IT investments, and optimize end to end business processes and associated information integration technologies. Through these efforts, IT helps to improve the competitive position of Corning's businesses through IT enabled processes. IT also delivers Information Technology applications, infrastructure, and project services in a cost efficient manner to Corning worldwide.
This is a highly challenging and creative position working across Corning’s global Research, Development and Engineering (RD&E) organizations, laboratories and environments to design, improve and maximize our technology workforce effectiveness across data acquisition, process enablement, modeling, innovation and knowledge management environments. The successful candidate will collaborate with scientists and engineers to assess and correlate work patterns with unparalleled “ease of use” application designs, translating product functionality into interactive designs. Development will include creating new wireframes as well as wrapping an entirely new visual design over existing architectures, Application space may include Desktop, Browser, or Mobile. The end product will be verified for productivity and optimal human-computer interaction.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Works across globally and technically diverse teams and organizations to understand work patterns and behaviors.
- Develops detailed understanding of customer needs and drives delivery alignment
- Oversees product and process design, identifies mis-matches and coordinates with project teams to establish resolution plans
- UX design project leadership
- Understands technical design aspects and facilitates identification of failure modes and effects
- Conducts risk analysis and develops risk mitigation and contingency plans to minimize effects to schedule and project performance
- Manages agile UX backlog, testing plans and status
- Operational assessment of existing environments, identifying and prioritizing concerns with existing environments and systems
- Participates in application development efforts, including programming and development
- Develops design scope and inter-dependencies, including effective response to change
- Facilitates rational decision making processes with team and stakeholders
- Develops and manages intuitive, self-documenting designs with robust project documentation
- Works with teams to resolve project conflicts, demonstrating leadership & negotiation skills
- Communicates the design status internally & externally to the organization & stakeholders in both formal and informal settings
- Establishes application UX, design and HCI best practices and facilitates sharing and dialog with other organizations
- Occasional travel, including international travel may be required.
Hours of work/work schedule/flextime:
- 8:00AM – 5:00PM
- 40 hour weeks and will involve overtime during certain projects or deadlines
- MS computer science, design, communications or related field
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 5 years UX work experience.
- Experience with scientific community preferred.
- UX, HCI, and Design knowledge and experience
- UX development for diverse form factors and clients
- Technical understanding of application & data design and architecture.
- Technical understanding and competency with various UX and design tools.
- Applies cross-cultural knowledge and awareness across UX designs
- Skilled in user research, problem analysis, requirements definition, communication, documentation and project management.
- Develops multi-year strategy to improve UX design across RD&E environments
- Strong desire to grow this area and see it succeed. Willing to provide customers direction and communicate importance and value UX.
- Effective listening to develop detailed understanding of customer needs
- Able to communicate to different audiences, including IT, engineering, laboratory and scientific organizations – will interact with all levels of the organization.
- Organized, detail oriented, analytical.
- Effective conflict negotiation to resolve project concerns and challenges
- Application development skills and experience with Agile code development, configuration management and software lifecycle management.
- Develop processes and best practices to assist design creation, development, and maintenance
- Flexibility to adapt to changing environment; be a change agent to help others through change.
- Data system experience and knowledge of data architecture and related systems.