Civil Engineer PE ( Wireless Communications )
Less than 5 years experience • Engineering Services
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Vacation/Sick leave, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Civil Engineer PE to join our Wireless Communications divison in our Richmond, Vienna, or Virginia Beach, VA offices. This position will be responsible for performing and directing Civil engineering duties on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope, and projects that involve only civil engineering.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Civil engineering duties as a lead project engineer including analysis and design involving utilities, roadways, site grading, storm water management, erosion control, and site plan preparation; leading and directing the work of EI/EIT’s assigned to the project; coordination with other design disciplines; leading the production of contract documents; and satisfying project budget and schedule requirements
- Working on a multi-discipline design team
- Meeting with clients to prepare and validate scope of work
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Obtain guidance from Senior Engineers and the Department Head as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Direct and lead the work of EI/EIT’s and CAD Technicians assigned to the project, particularly where unusual or difficult problems are encountered
- Performing Civil services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids as directed
- Performing Civil services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Complying with the company’s quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management
- Working with a multi-discipline team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Participate in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Directing, leading, and training junior Civil staff as directed
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior Civil staff
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Senior Civil Engineer tasks as directed
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the Civil portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, Civil-only projects
- Conduct project code analysis for review by the Senior Engineer
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant Civil drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by Civil EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, particularly analysis and design assumptions, input data, and output results
- Reviewing all drawings produced by Civil technicians assigned to the project
- Coordinate drawings with technical specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Incorporate responses to QC and Gray Team comments into the project documents
- Assist in responding to RFI’s, Dr. Check comments, etc.
- Review and respond to CA submittals
- Perform discipline QA/QC review on assigned projects
- Adhere to discipline budget and schedule
Graduation from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-yearengineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Civil, Environmental and InfrastructureEngineering
- Civil EngineeringTechnology
Post-graduate degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering-related degree may be given additional consideration
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Engineer in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- NCEES record to facilitate licensure through reciprocity is preferred
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation is preferred
- Additional certifications such as PTOE, CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- Active participation in NSPE, ASCE or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Civil Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Civil Engineer should typically have 4 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with a Civil Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm. Experience with analysis and design involving utilities, roadways, site grading, storm water management, erosion control, and site plan preparation is desirable.
Experience as a lead designer or Civil Engineer in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
Previous experience with wireless communications projects will be given additional consideration for Civil Engineers assigned to our Wireless Communications division.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondences
- Ability to make effective presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession