The Manager, Help Desk’s role is to oversee all Help Desk staff and ensure that end users are receiving the appropriate assistance. This includes the responsibility of managing all procedures related to identification, prioritization and resolution of incidents. This individual will develop, implement, and oversee policies and procedures to ensure consistent service levels and quick resolutions. The Manager, Help Desk will also contribute to escalated problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-on support to end users when necessary.
The Manager, Help Desk shall be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Develop Service Level Agreements (SLAs) to establish problem resolution expectations and timeframes.
- Develop policies and procedures that outline how problems are identified, documented, assigned and corrected.
- Analyze performance of Service Desk activities and documented resolutions, identify problem areas, and devise and deliver solutions to enhance quality of service and to prevent future problems.
- Prepare budget proposals and operational expenditure statements.
- Collaborate with other departments to identify and/or procure Service Desk software for internal staff and external clients.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols and standards in support of help desk technology procurement and development efforts.
- Liaise with vendors for the procurement of new systems technologies; oversee installation and resolve adaptation issues.
- Manage the processing of incoming calls to the Help Desk via both telephone and e-mail to ensure courteous, timely and effective resolution of end user issues.
- Develop and enforce request handling and escalation policies and procedures.
- Track and analyze trends in Help Desk requests and generate statistical reports.
- Assess need for any system reconfigurations (minor or significant) based on request trends and make recommendations.
- Identify, recommend, develop and implement end user training programs to increase computer literacy and self-sufficiency.
- Oversee development and communication of help sheets, usage guides and FAQs for end users.
- Attend training seminars, conferences and trade shows to broaden knowledge of current and future Help Desk issues and technologies.
- Oversee the development, implementation and administration of help desk staff training procedures and policies.
- Manage the overall desk activities and staff.
- Contribute to escalated problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-on support to end users when necessary.
- Monitor incident trends and anticipate potential problems for proactive resolution.
- Learn and abide by the Linde Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct. Demonstrate honesty, integrity, and professionalism in all communications, actions and decisions.
- BS/BA or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 or more years’ experience managing an information technology function in a medium or large size company.
- Extensive application support experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Extensive knowledge of computer hardware, including desktops, laptops and cell phones.
- Familiarity with the advanced principles of ITIL.
- Proven track record of developing and providing SLAs and Service Desk deliverables.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in the management of a technical support team.
- Extensive application support experience with electronic ticket managing systems.
- Solid relationship management and performance management skills.
- Ability to motivate and direct staff members and subordinates.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.