Position will be responsible for managing staff, directing and coordinating all appraisal, environmental, and property evaluation activities within the EverBank enterprise. Responsible for setting all collateral based due diligence policies consistent with industry standards and EverBank’s strategic needs and for ensuring that all appropriate controls are in place. Responsible for regulatory and compliance matters including interactions with regulatory examiners and internal auditors. Responsible for effective and efficient operations within the unit and across the enterprise. Establish and maintain optimal network of vendors that meets strategic and operational needs of EverBank. Ensure department activities and work products are consistent with industry standards and EverBank’s operational needs
- Manage process for commercial and residential appraisals, environmental assessments, site inspections, seismic and structural evaluations and borrower provided property status documents for consistency, efficiency, and effectiveness. Ensure evidence of review with relevant comments regarding validity of conclusions, adequacy of due diligence, etc. Ensure documentation is adequate to meet all requirements of regulatory bodies, internal and external auditors, and any counterparties in securitization or similar transactions.
- Establish and maintain safe and sound appraisal policies ensuring compliance with USPAP, FIRREA, OCC and EverBank requirements.
- Develop plans and monitor any action required to resolve issues identified by audit in a timely fashion
- Ensure that quality, timely and cost effective valuation and related due diligence products are used in supporting EverBank’s real estate secured lending activities.
- Develop internal audit processes, controls, and procedures that will identify gaps in the fulfillment of all collateral based due diligence requests.
- Manage, direct and coordinate staff supporting all collateral due diligence sourcing and review activities. Includes assigning work activities, monitoring work flow, ensuring adequate licensing and training, review and evaluation of work products, conclusions, and practices.
- Monitor and manage staffing requirements to ensure the department meets business/volume requirements within budget constraints.
- Train internal groups (including, but not limited to) underwriting, operations, credit, portfolio/asset management, and sales on appraisal methodology / valuation techniques, environmental assessments, tools, and related processes.
- Establish and maintain an effective relationship with senior management, underwriting, loan officers, business line managers and service partners. Produce reports for leadership; evaluate trends and outcomes to ensure appropriate lending decisions are made.
- Manage the qualification of external third party appraisers and other vendors nationally for approved vendor list. Establish and maintain quality monitoring program for all vendors. Ensure that adequate documentation is kept regarding additions or deletions from that approved vendor list. Periodically evaluate list for capacity, quality, and strategic fit with EverBank’s needs.
- Monitor regulatory and industry developments to ensure that EverBank is proactively addressing changes in requirements or practices.
- Maintain current real estate knowledge in multiple markets to enable credible evaluation of existing and proposed real estate collateral.
- Ad hoc evaluation of on book collateral addressing marketability, disposition options, repositioning and value add opportunities as required by senior management.
- Travel required to conduct site inspections or to other enterprise offices as part of managerial duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
- Deep knowledge of principles, practices, methods and techniques of commercial real estate appraisal
- Extensive commercial real estate appraisal experience in both traditional and investment bank environments
- Extensive knowledge of residential appraisal techniques, industry practices, and tools.
- Ability to recognize and interpret real estate sales/lease data and market trends
- Proficient in relevant software programs including MS word, Excel, PowerPoint,
- Ability to utilize data resources and internet services to evaluate appraisal value conclusions. Familiar with major commercial and residential database services (CoStar, LoopNet, MultiList, etc.)
- Independent judgment and initiative are required across a broad spectrum of responsibilities including vendor selection, quality assessment, process design, dispute resolution, and regulatory compliance.
- Time management skills – ability to manage multiple priorities and clients at the same time
- Work well in a fast paced mortgage production environment
- Ability to assess the stability of a property’s income and value relative to its market
- Ability to think independently to resolve issues relating to third party appraisals and make sound recommendations to credit and asset manager staff.
- Ability to effectively analyze various commercial income property types in major markets
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to prepare and present material, and actively participate in meetings with management, internal audit and compliance functions, loan reviewers, and regulators on appraisal and environmental issues. Ability to organize, direct and implement a comprehensive collateral due diligence program
- Working knowledge of environmental evaluation practices and tools
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree and 15 years minimum experience in commercial real estate appraisal experience working for or with banks. 2-3 years residential appraisal experience preferred.
- State Certified General license required (min. 5 years)
- MAI certification
- National real estate valuation experience
- At least 3 years of personnel management experience
- Process design experience
- Familiarity with environmental evaluation practices preferred
- Experience as an in-house commercial review appraiser within the commercial mortgage industry is preferred.
Job ID : 17005206