BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Mechanical Engineer III at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN, within our Engineering Operations Support Group, which supports process improvement and small capital improvement projects for our chemical manufacturing facility. In this role, you will be responsible for mechanical engineering and technical tasks for various modernization and production improvement programs and will work on a team of engineers and designers from different engineering disciplines. You will work with our production areas to develop and refine specifications for projects. Your work will include estimating, planning, analysis, design, and engineering inputs into the design, construction, and maintenance of chemical plant facilities. You will provide technical oversight during the actual field installation of equipment and construction.
You will need a high degree of technical competence regarding the broad application of mechanical engineering principles to the development of new capabilities and/or solutions to customers’ challenging modernization problems.
The Mechanical Engineer performs one or more of the following mechanical engineering functions:
- Work with multi-discipline engineering team to perform plant and project engineering.
- Create engineering estimates, select construction materials and methods; write specifications; supervise and prepare mechanical drawings; control cost; and manage work to meet project schedules.
- Perform mechanical engineering analyses for: piping systems; hydraulic systems: pumping systems; HVAC systems; equipment/machinery design and layout; process cooling and heating systems; storage tank design, inspection and repair.
- Conduct inspections of existing facilities such as buildings, equipment, and pipelines to determine the integrity and safety.
- Make recommendations concerning any needed modifications.
- Develop estimates, plans, and schedules for the construction phase of projects ensuring that materials, equipment, and personnel will be available to meet project schedules.
- Ensure that work is performed in accordance with plans, specifications, and good construction practices and within cost during the execution phase.
- Consider safety in all aspects of work and design.
BAE Systems helps protect those who protect us. At our R&D and manufacturing facility at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant, we do this by developing safer energetic materials for our government and commercial customers. HAAP has provided high quality explosives for our soldiers since WWII and will continue to push the frontier of energetic material synthesis and manufacturing with your help.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree and 5 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education:
o Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering and Five (5)+ years related experience
o A high degree of technical competence regarding the broad application of mechanical engineering principles to the development of new capabilities and/or solutions to customers’ challenging modernization problems.
o Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
o Self-motivated with the desire and ability to work in an industrious team environment
o High level of attention to detail
o Excellent organizational skills
o Ability to develop design packages using CADD, detailed program plans, estimates, and proposals
o Ability to direct design teams and external design firms
o Review and approve design packages from equipment suppliers and design firms
o Capable of creating required engineering documentation using Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, and Access
Preferred Skills and Education:
Preferred Skills and Education
o PE License
o Experience in industrial construction
o Energetics materials experience
o P&ID development
o 3D design / modeling using SolidWorks
o Vessel Design / Construction
o Pumps / Piping Design
o Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Job ID:32073BR