Senior Manager, R&D/Product Development Engineering
TE Automotive is one of the leading providers of advanced automobile connectivity solutions. We enable nearly every electronic function in the car -- from alternative power systems to infotainment and sensor technologies - all in a harsh environment. No matter which technology path OEMs choose to innovate for the connected car, we're committed to helping our customers meet evolving challenges and requirements.
TE Connectivity’s R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams conceive original ideas for new products, introduce them into practice. They are responsible for product development, and qualification from market definition through production and release; assist in the qualification of suppliers for new products to ensure suppliers deliver quality parts, materials, and services for new or improved manufacturing processes; conduct feasibility studies, testing on new and modified designs; direct and support detailed design, testing, prototype fabrication and manufacturing ramp. The R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams provide all required product documentation including, but not limited to, Solid Model, 2D/3D production drawings, product specifications, and testing requirements. They create and modify detailed drawings and drafting or conceptual models from layouts, rough sketches or notes and contribute to design modifications to facilitate manufacturing operation or quality of product. Typical fields of expertise include: materials, mechanics and systems, electrical, optics, chemistry, software, automation systems, packaging, testing and measurement, and manufacturing of electrical, mechanical and electronic components, products, and their integration into systems.
Manage the key resources for Advanced Engineering in the US to support development of key technology building blocks, as defined in our global roadmaps.
Tasks Summary & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the American Advanced engineering (AAE) project landscape incl. T&C, RF and high-speed data, electronics & sensors and HEMS regarding strategy, selection, prioritization, execution and transfer.
- Manage the local AAE team, with appropriate support, mentoring, training, and encouragement, including proper and timely use of Career Connections for annual, and mid-year reviews, as well as on-going career discussions
- Interface regularly with Americas Engineering, PM and S&M to ensure AAE works on the right priorities that balance global with regional needs. Participate in Americas Engineering staff meetings.
- Be a member of the Global Advanced Engineering organization, supporting strategy development and execution for AUTO Advanced work
- Lead the TEOA efforts to “do the right projects” and “do the projects right”, through effective participation in the APMT and the ADPAC meeting.
- Directly interface with key OEMs, Tier 1s, as well as HEMS and ICT customers, to gather VOC directly, present projects at various phases, and to support Tech Days and other showcases, tradeshows, etc.
- Be a team player in the GAE organization, supporting continuous improvement and engineering efficiency in our development processes (TE Project, et al)
- Conduct and continuously update strategic workforce planning for appropriate structure for the Americas Advanced Engineering team, and headcount planning for future team growth
- Interface regularly with Finance Americas (monthly reviews) for overall AAE budget management
- Support the continuous improvement of the process and simulation landscape required to ensure advanced engineering project execution (LEAP).
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- BS ME, EE or ChemE, minimum, with a strong preference for electronics expertise.
- Advanced degrees a plus (business and engineering)
- 5 years minimum experience leading innovation teams with direct management experience
- Project management experiencedesired
- Experience working in matrix organization for a large multinational corporation
- Deep technical expertise as well as strong generalist knowledge across Engineering areas. Has good business acumen and process insight with well-developed soft skills (such as communication and leadership)
Special Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of automotive market trends (lightweighting, EVs, ADAS, etc), major customers, and key trends
- Knowledge of auto electrical power and data architectures
- Knowledge of electronics design practices, including general familiarity with PCB layout, EMC concerns, component selection, etc.
- Knowledge of TE key technologies in stamping, plating, assembly and molding (SPAM) for connectors
Experience with the following is preferred:
- This role requires broad skills in managing across businesses, geographies, both internal and external to TE
- AAE’s project work is primarily in T&Cs, Infotainment, and E/E, though the key technical project priority setting for T&C and Infotainment comes from the global leads in EMEA. Therefore, strong coordination with other parts of the organization is crucial
- Managing TE’s external presence in technical communities is important, including key university relationships, memberships in consortia, and SAE conference organization and participation
- Mostly domestic travel in required to other TE sites and to Customers, with some international travel