Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc.(HATCI) is seeking an Engine Development and Test Team Manager at our Superior Township, MI (just East of Ann Arbor) location. In this role you will lead the Engine Development Test team which consists of Engineers who develop and execute fuel efficiency technology projects that range from co-works with Nam Yang engineers to advanced technology concepts fabricated within our HATCI machine shop.
- Engine Development Test Team is centered on delivering innovative advanced technology focused on meeting fuel efficiency targets that deliver reduced Brake Specific Fuel Consumption(BSFC) in 2 areas: 1) power & performance that deliver refined driving and 2) Durability testing to support production and new engine programs in Nam Yang, Korea (via engine dyno mapping, development and validation).
- Engine Dyno validation supporting manufacturing and quality of new engine technology and NAFTA content.
- Conducting competitive assessments and benchmarking on new engine technologies in the engine dyno lab, defining how competitive technologies work and providing recommendations on how these types of concepts could be applied.
- Provide supplier support (product engineering perspective) to aid in the manufacturing and quality issues of components and systems. Support manufacturing to assure supplier readiness for production on engines built in Alabama at HMMA, Monterrey Mexico at KMM and South Korea engine assembly plants.
- Manage Engine Dyno teams focused on Engine Mapping and Calibration and combustion Development of current production as well as R and D projects.
- Perform administrative functions such as completing purchasing requests, and approvals of timecards, vacation requests, travel requests, etc.
- Lead, motivate, and mentor team members
- Collaborate and coordinate activities with other staff members (Engineers/ Managers) and overseas R and D
- Issue weekly reports to management staff and project summary reports to top management.
- Track project timing and status to targets based on established project deliverables - utilize individual project sheets
- Collaborate with other HATCI and Korean development teams, share information, generate execution plans, and manage the project deliverables including project targets and timing.
- Plan engine dyno cell use time and project priorities working collaboratively with Korean Engine Coordinator and Nam Yang Product Development part team leaders to balance overall HMG priority on advanced technology, benchmarking, localization and durability.
- Manage, train, evaluate, discipline and make recommendations for hire, pay changes, promotions or terminations.
- Annual Budget Planning for all projects which includes technology fixed asset budgets (equipment) and project budgets (technology, benchmarking, durability). This includes project sheet creation & updates monthly, tracking spending through invoices and publishing monthly interim project reports through final budget completion reports.
- Respond to complaints or grievances.
- Travel up to 15% (Domestic and International)
Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor of science Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or similar related degree.
- 10 years in engine development and testing experience including work as an engine dyno development engineer
- Valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
- Candidates applying for positions with Hyundai Kia must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
- HATCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer including Disabled and Veteran. VEVRAA Federal contractor.
Research experience with engine design and development is highly desirable.
3 years management experience in an engine dyno laboratory environment is highly desirable.
Job Tracking ID: 85350-255409