Associate Director Community Investments
5 - 7 years experience • Business Services
This position will be with AEGON Asset Management, the organization which oversees asset management for many of Transamerica's insurance and operating companies as well as third party clients. The global AEGON Asset Management organization has operations in Europe, the United States and Asia. Primary offices in the United States are located in Cedar Rapids, IA, Chicago, IL and Baltimore, MD. AEGON Asset Management and Transamerica are both part of the AEGON NV group of companies. The legal entities that comprise AEGON Asset Management US are AEGON USA Realty Advisors, LLC and AEGON USA Investment Management, LLC. AEGON USA Realty Advisors, LLC manages commercial real estate, commercial mortgage loans and other real estate related investments. AEGONUSA Investment Management, LLC, is a registered investment adviser that manages fixed income assets, including public bonds, private placements, derivatives and alternative investments.
Position Overview: The Associate Director will assist the Community Investments Group by structuring, negotiating, underwriting and closing tax credit transactions. The Associate Director will identify and ensure that the core benefits and risks of a proposed investment align with the company’s investment criteria and based on that analysis will prepare and recommend the investment to Aegon’s Real Estate Investment Committee. It is expected that the Associate Director will be able to perform many of its core responsibilities, identified below, with limited supervision.
- Make sound investment recommendations and present to real estate investment committee for approval
- Preparing investment committee packages
- Financial modeling
- Review project documents; identify risks and understand tax related Low Income Housing Tax Credit issues
- Researching and evaluating market data, which may require travel to review comparable real estate sites in the market, site visits on proposed investments along with developers’ existing projects
- Coordination with internal and external consultants on due diligence reviews
- Collecting and reviewing project-specific documentation and working withinternal and external counsel to achieve a timely close
- Provide project information to junior staff for Salesforcedatabase input
- Work with and provide information, as needed to the Distribution and Client Management group and respond to investor inquiries as necessary
- Training, assigning tasks and managing work product of junior staff
- Special projects will be assigned as needed by manager
- Undergraduate or graduate degree with an emphasis in finance, accounting, mathematics, real estate, business and/or economics
- Four (4) to six (6) years of work experience in real estate with a focus on multifamily housing, preferably with a financial institution, private equity firm or a low income housing tax credit syndicator
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and Word
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to exercise sound and independent judgment as well as work independently
- Ability to travel
Job and compensation levels depend upon an applicant’s qualifications including the extent of his/her relevant experience and other job related factors and will be determined by hiring supervisors/managers and HR.