Corporate Vice President, Food and Nutrition Services
CORPORATE VICE PRESIDENT – FOOD & NUTRITION SERVICES
10 Hospital, $5B Integrated Healthcare System
Leader in the Mid-Atlantic Area
PLEASE NOTE THE MULTI-ENTITY HEALTHCARE SYSTEM REQUIREMENT (large scale-Multi-Hospital)
The Corporate Vice President - Food & Nutrition Services is responsible for developing and implementing both the strategic and operational aspects of all food and nutrition services for this 10 hospital, $5B integrated healthcare system. This is a newly created, corporate level position with a high priority transformational focus. The selected individual will oversee a $50M budget. The position reports to the System Vice President for Integrated Support Operations.
· Operational accountability for the implementation and on-going oversight of the comprehensive contractor relationship(s) for food and nutrition services concentrated on ten hospital campuses and select non-acute sites throughout the state of Maryland, District of Columbia and Northern Virginia region. Manages costs and maintains efficient food operations. Ensures food quality and safety, patient experience, service level requirements, financial commitments and all othercontract deliverables are consistently achieved and maintained. Ensures relationship key performance indicators, operational and executive performance dashboards are in place and generated and distributed by the outsource contractor(s) on a monthly basis.
· Works collaboratively and develops strong relationships with entity senior leadership in a systemness matrix environment. Comfortable establishing and managing partnerships and able to inspire and persuade stakeholders. Through a “selfless servant” mindset, advances collaboration, integration, and standardization throughout the system.
· In conjunction with the outsourced contractor relationship and the clinical dietician team, nursing and other care givers, develops and implements a patient meal program that meets patient nutritional requirements and enhances the care delivery process. Ensures a broad menu selection is available with multiple food delivery options, including room service and meals on demand, to accommodate the diverse nutritional needs and preferences of the patient population.
· In conjunction with the outsourced contractor relationship and internal system stakeholders, identifies the key drivers of food and meal-related satisfaction and implements improvements to measure, trend, and increase satisfaction with food quality and service. Ensures there are effective processes in place to recruit, develop, and retain front-line associates. Assures associates demonstrate SPIRIT values and can effectively engage patients, family, and guests and impart a favorable impression related to food quality, taste and service.
· Ensures processes and systems are in place for the training and education of Food and Nutrition associates. Collaborates with SiTEL and the outsourced contractor to assist in the development of training programs and curriculums for Food and Nutrition associates. Assures compliance with all MSH mandated training.
· Develops and implements a retail food strategy that provides contemporary and healthy dining options for system associates, patients, visitors, and guests. Evaluates national branded retailpartnership options for feasibility within the system. Develops business cases to justify retail expansion opportunities.
· Develops and implements system-wide catering policies, including guidelines governing under what meeting circumstances system funded catering services are appropriate and allowable, including internal or external catering services. Evaluates catering software programs to automate the administration of catering programs and expense management. Identifies and implements preferred catering vendor agreements that offer competitive pricing and enhanced services levels to the system.
· Provides oversight to the system beverage and food/snack vending programs ensuring current model vending machines are available at all sites inclusive of payment and reorder technologies and that all machines are in good condition and appropriate. Ensures a mix of healthy product choices are available and that service levels are maintained at a high level. Ensures replenishmentschedules are appropriate to minimize product stock-outs and made known to designated individuals at each site where vending machines are provided. Tracks vending sales and ensures commissions are paid in accordance with contract terms. Works collaboratively with other site organizations such as auxiliary, gift shop operators or volunteer services.
· In conjunction with the outsourced contractor relationship, ensures well designed continuous performance improvement activities and audit processes are established and conducted at regularly scheduled intervals at all facilities including but not limited to:
? Compliance with sanitation and food safety standards
? Compliance with retail and patient tray standards
? Compliance with patient satisfaction standards
? Compliance with financial and contractual commitments
· In collaboration with nursing and other members of the clinical care team, evaluates and makes determinations of the appropriateness and feasibility of new and emerging food and dining technologies, equipment, workflow and process enhancements, food safety protocols, sustainable dining and packaging options and other advancements in food and nutrition services.
· Works in collaboration with health system executives, hospital leaders, clinicians, the Center for Human Factors Engineering, and strategic business partners to establish and implement contemporary standardized processes, consistent operational best practices, and uniform performance metrics and monitoring systems for food and nutrition services across the system.
· In collaboration with health system executives, hospital leaders, clinicians, the corporate Innovation Institute, and strategic business partners identifies, assesses, validates and implements new programmatic offerings related to food and nutrition services such as room service, meals on demand, national branded retailpartnerships, automation/robotics, and other innovative concepts in the culinary arts and food sciences.
· Participates as a system health leadership representative in food and nutrition service related industry work groups promoting system requirements and driving industry standards for integrated delivery networks. Networks with industry peers and remains abreast of industry trends to improve clinical nutrition standards, retail food programs, the patient experience related to meals and dining, new technology and automation, advances in food safety and other improvements in healthcare food and nutrition.
· In collaboration with the outsourced contractor and other business relationships, ensures effective plans are in place for disaster preparedness, business continuity and disaster recovery to minimize the potential for disruption to patient meal services and retail food operations and ensures business continuity and rapid recovery from force majeure events as well as deliberate acts of business interruption.
· In collaboration with system operational leaders and the outsourced contractor, ensures compliance with appropriate food safety, sanitation standards, associate safety, OSHA, Joint Commission and other regulatory standards.
· Bachelor’s degree in health administration, business, clinical nutrition or related area, Master’s / Advanced Degreerequired.
· 10+ years in positions of progressive change agent responsibility leading food and nutrition services functions in a complex, large-scale multi-entity healthcare system.
· Registered dietician preferred.
· Ability to function in a highly autonomous manner and perform effectively in an environment of ambiguity and conflicting priorities (i.e. provide the highest quality and best patient experience while maintaining a low-cost leadership position in the marketplace).
· A proven and positive patient experience track record including advanced patient satisfaction measurement systems and front-line associate patient engage expertise.
· Ability to recruit top level talent, develop them into team, establish a vision and obtain buy in from team members. Experience with behavioral based interviewing tools and processes as applied to front line service associates.
· Experience with third party vendors ensuring successful delivery to statements of work. Advanced knowledge of vendor management and contract administration processes.
· Strategic thinker who is capable of developing innovative solutions to drive improvement in a complex matrix environment.
· Superior analytical and organizational skills with the ability to simultaneously manage multiple, mission-critical projects.
· Budgeting, fiscal performance, and resource allocationexperience.
· Ability to cultivate and nurture successful relationships with all levels of stakeholders including internal and external business partners.
· Experience energizing organizational leadership and gaining buy-in and support to changes in approaches, processes, and strategies.
· Proficient public speaker, ability to effectively communicate to senior leadership, physicians, operational leaders, subordinates and staff.
· Process, Six Sigma/Lean and project management experiencepreferred.
This is an outstanding, highly visible career opportunity for a transformational leader with a strong commitment to results, success, and excellence. Compensation is market competitive and includes a first-rate comprehensive fringe benefits program