The Manager of Capital Accounting will be responsible for leading the company’s fixed assets and lease accounting functions to ensure the accuracy and integrity of data, processes, and controls over the company’s leased assets and 250k+ individual fixed assets. The Manager of Capital Accounting will also be responsible for developing and leading initiatives to implement process improvement opportunities, building and leveraging cross-functional and external partnerships in support of departmental objectives, ensuring Accounting customers’ needs are met, and leading and developing a team of associates to execute on the department’s mission. This role will serve as a subject-matter expert on capital asset accounting and work closely with a variety of business partners including Financial Planning & Analysis, Tax, Construction, Facilities, Real Estate, IT, and other Accounting teams.
• Lead the Capital Accounting function, including, but not limited to the following:
o Monitor, and ensure compliance with, capital asset policies;
o Lead the month-end close process, including review and approval of journal entries and account reconciliations, and analysis of financial statement accounts to ensure compliance with GAAP;
o Ensure the consistent application of processes and controls;
o Lead the annual capital asset budget process in conjunction with FP&A, Construction, Facilities, and other business partners, in order to develop accurate capital and related expense budgets;
o Facilitate coordination with Tax to ensure accurate reporting of tax records related to capital assets, including the implementation of cost segregation studies and other related tax strategies;
o Oversee the creation and presentation of quarterly capital expenditures reporting for Senior Management and the Board of Directors.
• Manage, lead and develop a team of associates through timely performance feedback delivered during day-to-day observations, periodic file reviews, and an annual performance evaluation. The manager is responsible for creating individual development plans and setting business objectives designed to enhance and assist associate growth.
• Serve as a subject-matter expert, working with cross-functional project teams to lead and/or participate in special projects, including the company’s implementation of the FASB’s new lease accounting standard.
• Lead the centralization of the company’s lease accounting functions, including the identification and implementation of process improvement opportunities.
TOTAL % OF TIME SPENT ON EACH DUTY MUST EQUAL 100%
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to motivate and influence across multiple levels of the organization and willing to challenge upwards appropriately
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the organization, and collaborate with other departments and teams
• Ability to make effective and independent judgments, including the ability to develop creative solutions to difficult problems
• Ability to summarize complex and/or technical information into easy-to-understand pieces (distinguishing message delivery from analysis)
• Ability to prioritize and lead team to achieve long-term and short-term results
• Ability to develop, execute and adjust a plan with high degree of independence
• Ability to develop and promote other associates for organizational needs
• Ability to use organizational knowledge to implement changes and enhance processes
• Ability to understand latest industry trends and their potential impact for CarMax
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required, with a concentration in Accounting preferred
• CPA preferred
• Five to seven years of progressive accounting and business experience required, with 3+ years experience in a management role
• Extensive experience with fixed assets and lease accounting strongly preferred
• Extensive knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, accounting systems and automation
• Proven results in process improvement, project management and change management
• Demonstrated experience in associate leadership and development