Executive Director, University Housing
The Division of Student Life at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) invites applications and nominations for the position of Executive Director of University Housing. This is an exempt, 12 month, full-time, non-tenure track staff position.
The University: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is the state’s flagship research institution, a campus of choice for outstanding undergraduates, and a premier graduate institution. Enrolling 28,000 students, the campus is located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and beautiful East Tennessee. As a land-grant university, it is committed to excellence in learning, scholarship, and engagement. In all its activities, the university aims to advance the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate society. The university values intellectual curiosity, pursuit of knowledge, and academic freedom and integrity.
The Division: The Division of Student Life is comprised of over 400 staff that serve our students through 19 departments and functions. Staff are actively engaged in the lives of our students, living and learning with them in our residence halls, student union, and other campus environments. The Division seeks candidates willing to engage, challenge, and support our students through intentional programs and services. In addition, we seek colleagues that are committed to teamwork and have a palpable passion for working with and serving all students.
The Department and Position: Reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Life, the Executive Director of University Housing serves as the chief housing officer and provides leadership for a comprehensive housing program that includes rental properties and a university guesthouse, Hopecote. University Housing accommodates over 7,300students in 12 residence halls and rental properties. The department supports the University’s academic mission and strategic priorities of the Division through its work in fostering positive, student-centered residential environments. The Executive Director oversees more than 200 full-time employees, approximately 400student employees and administers a departmental budget of nearly $50 million dollars.
Duties & Responsibilities:The Executive Director is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Provides vision, leadership and oversight for the university’s comprehensive student housing program.
- Provides leadership and oversight of departmental strategic planning, human resources, and policy development.
- Establishes departmental priorities supporting student learning and success by fostering and maintaining partnerships with academic colleges and administrative units to develop departmental programs and services that effectively compliment the educational mission, goals and objectives of the division and university.
- Evaluates and ensures departmental effectiveness and efficiency through on-going data collection and assessment efforts.
- Supervises the senior management team (Associate Directors and Budget Director) and central office staff.
- Evaluates and assesses staffing needs and recommends appropriate appointments for the department. Establishes priorities for recruitment, selection and training for staff.
- Encourages and supports opportunities for staff development at all levels of the department.
- Provides direction and oversight of departmental budget (approximately $50,000,000) ensuring sound fiscal operations. Monitors budget issues, including reserve balances, bond amortization schedules, and monthly budget operating statements and makes appropriate adjustments as necessary.
- Coordinates the development of short and long-range plans for maintenance and improvement of university-owned housing facilities.
- Engages a diverse student body and workforce in fostering a welcoming, supportive and inclusive environment that promotes connection to campus life.
- Coordinates, confers and works with staff within the division, as well as with other university departments and system administration to coordinate operations of the Department of University Housing with other university activities.
- Provides leadership for university/division committees and initiatives, and represents the University at appropriate state, regional and national professional organizations.
- Monitors current trends in student housing to determine potential application or impact to the department.
Education and Experience:
This position requires a Master’s Degree in Higher Education, Student Personnel or related field. This position requires the following: At least ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional leadership experience within student housing; experience in budget planning and personnel management; knowledge of university-level organizational structures and communication channels; demonstrated knowledge and application of student development and learning theory in the advancement of policies and procedures supporting student success.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Demonstrated ability to lead a broad spectrum of staff in developing and implementing plans that further the mission of the department; demonstrated ability to successfully perform managerial responsibilities (planning, organizational leadership, budget, personnel, program evaluation, facility management and operations) in a complex regulatory, legal, policy, and political environment that best meets the needs of the students, department, division and the university; demonstrated ability to work with diverse constituencies (university and community); demonstrated skills in strategic/long range programmatic and facility planning; excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills; successful experience in building collaborative partnerships; ability to handle multiple work priorities; and an ability to build and manage teams effectively.
Preferredqualifications for the position include possession of a doctoral degree in a related area, including Higher Education, Student Personnel or related area; ability to apply institutional and divisional mission, vision and priorities to all areas of the department; strong organizational and planning skills; experience serving as member of a departmental senior leadership team; ability to develop and execute short and long term plans; ability to organize and plan projects effectively; ability to exercise good judgment and lead by example and integrity.