Director - Internal Audit
The Director of Internal Audit will be responsible for developing the annual audit plan with the Vice President of Internal Audit, manage annual risk assessment process, execute on the annual audit plan, coordinate special projects, and coach and develop staff. As the organization grows and changes, the Director ensures that audit plans adapt along with the organization. The scope of the role includes, but is not limited to, the following:
Audit & Controls
- In collaboration with corporate and subsidiary management, develop approaches to understanding and summarizing material risks and work to ensure proper controls are established to manage risks appropriately.
- Assist management and other personnel in the design, application and assessment of internal controls to safeguard assets, ensure accuracy and completeness of financial and operational data and promote operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Based on root cause analysis of audit findings, prepare recommendations to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of operations while maintaining a strong control environment.
- Work collaboratively with field operations to develop action plans to address findings and monitor status.
Change Management & Special Projects
- On a special project basis, work with subsidiary and functional leaders on process improvement as technology is employed to remove manual processes from our current environment.
- Assist with overall change management in the organization and department as processes evolve and change. Ensure the proper controls are in place to address the changes to the business environment.
- Continually challenge the current status and maintain an environment of continuous improvement within both the internal audit department and throughout the organization as it relates to audit.
- Manage staff of 7 auditors who perform financial, operational, and IT audits.
- Develop staff into higher levels both within the department and within the organization as a whole.
- Evaluate, establish, and ensure effective implementation of internal audit practices and procedures that ensure audits activities are conducted consistently in a highly structured and value added manner.
Education & Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or related field (required), Master’s DegreePreferred and 7-10 years of experience in a similar role leading an audit team. CPArequired, CIA, CISA or CFE certification a plus. Relevant industry experience a plus.
Additional Requirements include the following:
- Knowledge of GAAP and IIA standards, Big 4 Risk Advisory Experience a plus
- Proven experience in highly dynamic environment serving multiple clients and priorities at once.
- Proven experience training and developing staff.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills, including experiencereporting to the executive level of the organization.
- Strong understanding of financial systems, operational systems (i.e. POS) and technical processes for financialreporting.
- Strong understanding of new accounting pronouncements for revenue recognition and lease accounting, a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 20%