Process Improvement Engineer
- Apply with LinkedIn
Huntsman currently has an immediate opening for a dynamic individual with proven capability as a Process Improvement Engineer located in Port Neches, TX. You will be a key technical resource and Chemical Engineering subject matter expert (SME) that works across the site’s olefin, olefins derivatives, and specialty chemical manufacturing units to define, justify, and implement capital and non-capital improvement projects in order to improve operational effectiveness and meet business objectives. In this role you will provide mentoring, technical leadership, and informal direction to less experienced process and run-plant engineers.
Essential responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Effectively uses Chemical Engineering skills to identify, evaluate, and resolve technical operational issues when unit assigned engineering staff is unable to do so.
- Utilizes a broad set of process engineering tools effectively in plant optimization, evaluation and design and informally instructs others in their proper application and use.
- Effectively applies the Project Work Process to document capital project development (justifications, conceptual design, etc. through handover to Project’s Group) and champions its use by others.
- Coaches unit process engineers in project development which includes following the work process, calculation methods, and documentation requirements.
- Functions as process design engineer on assigned projects. developing PFDs, P&IDs, and multiple design data sheets for a variety of process equipment and processes.
- Reviews process design work of other projects for compliance to engineering standards, work processes and good engineering practices.
- Functions as lead and owner/operator process engineer directing and reviewing EPC firm work on multidiscipline projects when assigned.
- Organizes and leads cross functional teams to identify unit performance gaps (KPI’s) and develops appropriate capital and non-capital solutions.
- Consults with other engineers as a SME on a specific type of chemical engineering unit operation or other sub-discipline.
- Assists in the technical development of engineering staff through mentoring less experienced engineers, informal training in Chemical Engineering skills and tools, and formal training within their area of expertise.
- Interfaces with business teams to help define their long term capital plan and future engineering needs.
- Manages their own priorities and work assignments effectively within the agreed to timing.
- Leads with regards to Safety by actively engaging in Behavior Based Safety Process and Process Safety Management activities, including Hazard and Operability studies (HAZOP), Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA), Incident Investigations, and Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSR) as appropriate to assignment.
- Essential functions require presence in the workplace on a regular basis and an ability to work extra hours if needed. If applicable, ability to work overtime may be needed to ensure required staffing capacity to meet daily production objectives.
- Work collaboratively with team members with different backgrounds and perspectives.
- Assists other employees in accomplishments of Huntsman company goals. Follows instructions and performs other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Participates in Environmental, Health, & Safety initiatives as set forth by the company. Participates in and completes company-required training programs.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Chemical Engineering is required and a Master Degree in Chemical Engineering is preferred.
- Seven to ten (7-10) years consulting or working for an owner operator in the Chemical Industry is required.
- Three to five (3-5) years working for an EPC firm or technology licensor is highly desired
Skills and Knowledge:
- Fluent in current version of Aspen Plus or equivalent simulation software is required.
- Operational experience with and a detailed understanding of a chemical manufacturing process technology practiced at this site is required.
- Proficiency in several Chemical Engineering sub-disciplines (fluid flow, heat transfer, distillation, other mass transfer, process control, modeling, reaction engineering) is required.
- Development of one specific Chemical Engineering sub-discipline to a local expert level is highly desired.
- Operational and design experience with Ethylene Oxide and Ethylene Glycol is required.