Req #: 11483
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Senior technical leader in a newly developed role as Sustainability Leader for the Company within the Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering (MTE) function.
- Oversee the continued development and execution of a Sustainability Program working with Global Manufacturing and Quality (GMQ), Global Supply Management (GSM), Diversity, Global Energy Management (GEM), Corporate Environmental Control (CEC), Corporate Communications, Customers and Suppliers.
- Architect in the development and driving of policies and engagement on issues of governance, environmental, and social performance across the organization, in concert with the functions described above. Senior technical level Engineer managing Compliance Assurance, Due Diligence, Mergers and Acquisitions (M&As) team globally.
- Oversee existing environmental personnel / staff for implementation of various environmental and sustainability programs, including the implementation of facility environmental management systems (ISO14001 systems).
- Respond to new environmental information (i.e. government regulations, industry standards or corporate guidance) and support facilities impacted by changes.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of environmental regulations and provide interpretation to facilities as necessary.
- Compile, analyze, and interpret environmental statistical data (water, waste, greenhouse gas emissions).
- Work with facilities to set short (annual) and long term (3-5 year) goals for sustainability and environmental improvements.
- Provide consultation regarding environmental education and training, support and guidance to facilities to maintain an environment consistent with company policy and regulatory requirements.
- Understand and communicate environmental permit requirements and data generated to prepare permits.
- Assist facilities with ensuring the determination of root cause and effective corrective actions in regard to environmental incidents and/or inspection findings.
- Support projects as requested and collaborate with company and consultant resources to leverage best work practices and to provide additional skill-level support.
- Sustainability, Compliance Assurance, Due Diligence, Mergers & Acquisitions.
- Support existing, renovations and expansions, and new construction globally (Americas, EMEA, Asia Pacific).
Role within group:
- Senior level Engineer within the Americas (but provide globally support), with Direct Reports.
Required Education & Years of Experience:
- BS or MS in Environmental, Civil or Chemical Engineering or equivalent 10 – 15 years work experience in manufacturing and/or environmental consulting.
- PE License Preferred
- Sustainability experience within Industry, consulting, or equivalent.
- In addition, strong environmental technical skills associated with compliance assurance, due diligence, mergers & acquisitions.
- Project Management Experience
- Minimum of 7 - 10 years of supervisory experience
- Masters or advanced degree
- Certified Black Belt
- Experience with risk and statistical analysis
- Ability to communicate with success across diverse communities (workforce, educational, regulatory, commercial, etc.)
- Understands and demonstrates the characteristics of an effective team member (reliability, trustworthy, active participation, etc.)
- Ability to motivate others toward a desired vision, drive change and long lasting enthusiasm