The Data Scientist will develop relationships with business partners and Business Intelligence Analysts to enhance understanding of business issues and create value for the organization. Executing data mining and analytics projects with high potential return and inventing/iterating novel solutions to challenging data-related problems will be the primary focus of the Data Scientist. This individual will also assist the Business Intelligence team within the Commercial Excellence Division in identifying and prioritizing enterprise data analytics opportunities. This position is critical to ensure that BI utilizes a wide array of reliable data analysis techniques to deliver data-driven Sales and Marketing intelligence. Specific areas of focus include delivering and optimizing solutions for data mining, aligning data processing and predictive algorithms with business goals, and transforming data into knowledgeable information. Specific accountabilities include but are not limited to the following essential job functions:
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Execute the technical development of novel tools which incorporate models that recommend action and guide decision making.
- Recommend key enablers including business process, organizational and technology.
- Work with our BI analysts to apply business intelligence tools to provide dashboards to drive appropriate action and behavior, and measurement and accountability against key business initiatives.
- Work hand-in-hand with Information Technology developers for the implementation and maintenance of back-end database and reporting/analytics environments.
- Encourage and develop new ideas from the team to foster improvements through innovation.
- Data mining experience using statistical software (R or Python preferred).
- Strong analytical skills, to critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding, distinguish presented user requests from the underlying true needs, and distinguish solution ideas from requirements.
- In depth Microsoft SQL Server and relational databases experience.
- Hands on experience in stored procedure and SSIS development required.
- Ability to liaison with Information Technology to ensure that the proper Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) and database architecture is in place to fulfill Sales and Marketing needs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of database tools (Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Access, Excel) to extract and manipulate large, complex datasets.
- Report development experience using Cognos preferred.
- Data mining technical knowledge and skills including: decision trees, multivariate analysis, segmentation modeling, factor analysis, regression analysis, forecasting, and machine learning.
- Intellectual curiosity and commitment to teaching data analytics concepts to others.
- Perform ongoing data analysis to develop a deep understanding of the impact on data with changing market and business unit dynamics.
- Examine patterns in the data and coordinate with business unit to define opportunities for deep-dive analyses.
- Develop and implement a process for cross-checking validity of data pulls made by other members of the Commercial Excellence Team.
- Define data requirements and appropriate modeling techniques in response to both specific, cyclic business requests and ad hoc or one off analyses.
- Develop and execute a methodology for choosing appropriate types of models based on business requests.
- Design business case-appropriate predictive models using machine learning techniques and statistical analyses.
- Train and evaluate models and deploy methods to increase accuracy where possible.
- Actively support all aspects of the BI Data Governance Program.
- Identify causes of poor data quality management, implement solutions and communicate findings to employees, management, and stakeholders.
- Ensure processes adhere to data management policy.
- Collaborate with Business Process owners and Data Stewards to develop methods for synchronizing data entering company systems.
- Responsible for ensuring issues and/or outages are communicated to the user community.
- Participate in post mortem meetings and report out on data impacts and outages across organization in a manner which instills confidence in issue understanding, impact and next steps along with prevention/elimination recommendations.
- Understand inter-relationship of systems and processes which could be corrupt data impacting events and recommend course of action.
- Model the behaviors of championing data as an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience negotiating and influencing both internally and externally to achieve results.
- Strong relationship building skills, including executive interaction & negotiation, ability to coach others.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented and process-driven, with an orientation toward continuous process improvement.
- Exceptional problem solving abilities and experience synthesizing disparate and sometimes potentially contradictory data and communicating this information to the business.
- Ability to work with the Sales and Marketing teams, including but not limited to, Territory Managers, District Managers, Regional Directors, Executive Directors, and Brand and Product Managers, in order to understand their strategy, goals and objectives with specific experience in coordinating and leading report gathering requirement sessions, and documenting their requirements.
- Ability to reverse-engineer business logic/rules required.
- Performs all Company business in accordance with all regulations (e.g. EEO, FDA, OSHA, PDMA, EPA, PhRMA, etc.) and Company policies and procedures.
- Report all violations immediately to management.
- Document observations and provide information to management as necessary.
- Demonstrates high ethical and professional standards with all business contacts and BI employees.
- Master's Degree in Data Science, Statistics, Computer Science or equivalent field from an accredited institution is required; PhD from an accredited institution preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) to four (4) years’ experience in a related role.
- Demonstrated experience in systems and processes, creating and executing algorithms and distilling the solutions for a business audience, process improvement, preferably within the Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to apply principles, concepts, practices, and standards including knowledge and use of Animal Health or Pharma data and working knowledge of industry practices.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate ideas, facts, and technical information to senior management, as well as other internal customers both verbally and written.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills and ability to work with other disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement effective solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in the fast paced environment.
- Proficiency in data mining and munging tools, especially R and Python.
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven statistics skills.
- Models willingness to learn and stay up-to-date.
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills.
- History of successful performance.
- Must achieve results in a highly matrixed organization.
- Requires working with IT on system improvements and execution.
- Ability to travel (may include overnight travel).
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older