If you want to work with forward thinking people in a fast moving, innovative environment, Axalta offers you the best market-leading career opportunities. We are a unique company. While our name is new, we are backed by a 150-year legacy of providing some of the most advanced coating technologies to customers all over the world. We rank number one or two in all of the major business segments we serve. Our longstanding commitment to progressive research is setting new standards and pointing the way to beautiful and sustainable coating solutions for tomorrow.
Axalta Coating Systems is seeking a Chemical Engineer to join its Process Technology team located at the Coatings Technology Center in Wilmington, DE. The successful candidate for this job will become a key member of the Global Process Technology team.
The primary responsibility of this position is as a Senior Agitation Consultant focused on understanding and improving all aspects of viscous material momentum, heat and mass transfer from laboratory to pilot to commercial scale. Viscous material handling is a key element of the many unit operations and processes involved in resin, dispersion and paint manufacture across the many global Axalta sites.
- Provide technical expertise across the many processes and unit operations handling viscous materials, be the recognized mixing expert for the corporation;
- Collaborate with R&D product and intermediate formulators to define the agitation required for proper scale-up and alignment;
- Advance fundamental understanding of mixing process technology and be at the forefront for mixing developments in the literature;
- Represent Axalta in the public mixing community including any consortiums to which Axalta belongs;
- Use mathematical models and work closely with modeling community within Axalta to help develop mixing processes;
- Participate in manufacturing forums to support and/or troubleshoot plant process and quality issues;
- Oversee mixing experiments at laboratory and pilot scale in support of key learnings important to viscous handling problems;
- Interact with Axalta personnel in the business and operations functions on a regular basis;
- Provide coaching on technical issues to both peers and associateinvestigators;
- Supervise technicians, organize work flow including setting and meeting deadlines, and adhere to core values including safe work practices;
- Function as key contact on teams related to quality, management of change, or others.
Specific Technical Knowledge:
- Strong background in fluid dynamics, fluid flow, agitation and agitation design, and fluid flow.
- Knowledge in polymer reaction engineering especially resin engineering would be a plus.
Team & Organization:
- Will be a member of the Global Process Technology Process Development Group.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with at least 10 years of experience in fluid dynamics and application thereof.
- Strong project management experiencerequired.
Key Behavioral Competencies:
- Demonstrated ability to work and contribute in team environment
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong influence skills
- Work in different cultures
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Effective written and oral communication
- A bias for action, and results orientation
Job ID 2017-1907