Hastings Mutual has an opening for a Personal Lines Director. This position drives personal lines profitability, growth, implementation and interpretation of underwriting methods, in addition to the development and training of underwriters through leadership, development and engagement of resources. Key accountabilities include helping Hastings Mutual understand the ever-changing personal lines marketplace to ensure we remain competitive with our products, price, and distribution by using technology, data, planning and executing. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Underwriting, this position will be based at our Hastings, Michigan corporate offices.
- Translates strategic and annual operating plans into organizational direction that will result in profitable personal lines production. Creates business plans, goals, budget, and timelines.
- Consults with all levels of internal partners regarding underwriting policy and practice. Provides input into business plans and helps identify operational performance gaps and efficiencies.
- Communicates organizational direction to underwriting team and internal partners.
- Builds and maintains effective internal and external collaborative partnerships across all related functions, including: Claim, Marketing, Product Development, IT, vendors, DOI, etc.
- Conducts internal file reviews and provide feedback for improvement.
- Sets underwriter authority and approve referrals.
- Manages annual expense budget.
- Develops relationships with key agents through travel and other means.
- Manages underwriting vendor relationships.
- Ensures that underwriting practices and guidelines are understood and adhered to, specifically focusing on price, risk selection, and mix of business.
- Determines priorities and ensures adherence to workflow and service standards for the team.
Leadership and Talent Development
- Determines and ensures delivery of training and development based on individual and department needs.
- Establishes pipeline of talent to support the attraction, selection and development of high caliber, diverse talent from within and/or outside the organization.
- Participates in creation of strategic staffing plans to support the profitable growth of the business while also providing development opportunities for employees.
- Directs underwriting manager(s) and provides performance management, salary planning and administration, organizational planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Additional course work or designations. CPCU designation preferred.
- 8+ years related underwriting experience; or equivalent combination of education and related experience within the independent agency distributionchannel.
- 3+ years of management experiencepreferred.
- Possess both analytical and problem solving skills.
- Can work under pressure to meet deadlines and still maintain quality work.
- Proven success leading others and managing relationships.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.