- Directs and evaluates operations concerning patient assessments, therapeutic patient treatments, procedures, diagnostic testing, and reporting of results in accordance with policies and procedures. Administers direct patient care according to the needs of the patients, respiratory department, staff, and the hospital.
- Maintains all respiratory equipment and ensures annual preventive maintenance is completed. Recommends new equipment purchases. Produces and maintains par levels of all respiratory supplies. Keeps RT storeroom in compliance according to fire and safety codes per state regulations.
- Maintains department records and statistics. Audits departmental documentation. Completes various hospital audits. Compiles data and prepares reports as requested.
- Provides leadership in the development of performance standards for all respiratory personnel. Evaluates and counsels all employees on their performance in a professional and timely manner. Plans and develops educational in-services for the department.
- Maintains the respiratory schedule to provide adequate staffing 24 hours a day. Provides alternative scheduling to best utilize the respiratory staff. Plans and leads department meetings in compliance with regulatory standards. Coordinates and participates in departmental and hospital-wide activities.
- Demonstrates the ability to function within fiscal limitations. Maintains the respiratory department’s budget. Monitors and controls resource utilization and expenditures of the respiratory department.
- The knowledge and skills necessary to perform the position requirements are demonstrated through the successful completion of competencies established for the position, to include population served, and other special needs of patients or customers, served by the department.
- Adheres to LifeCare policies, procedures, all safety plans, and all standards imposed by regulatory organizations.
- Regular attendance and timeliness is required.
This description is a general statement of required essential functions performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
Supervision: Directs the activities and personnel of Respiratory Department.
Experience: Five years of respiratory experience in an acute clinical environment including clinical management experience. Three years of critical care or comparable experience is preferred.
Education: Graduate of an AMA approved two or four-year Respiratory Therapy program or completion of an AMA approved program equivalency. Fulfillment of RRT requirements established by state and/or licensing agency or authority or CRTT who is eligible for registration (RRT) and successfully achieves within 6 months of hire into this role. Bachelordegree in Cardiopulmonary Science preferred.