About MapR Technologies
Headquartered in San Jose, Calif., MapR provides the industry’s only Converged Data Platform that enables customers to harness the power of big data by combining analytics in real-time to operational applications to improve business outcomes. With MapR, enterprises have a data management platform for undertaking digital transformation initiatives to achieve competitive edge. Amazon, Cisco, Google, Microsoft, SAP, and other leading businesses are part of the global MapR partner ecosystem.
MapR Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.
This position represents an opportunity to join a very fast-paced startup company that is developing both proprietary and open source Big Data products.
MapR Technologies is looking for a talented, motivated technical writer with deep security knowledge to join the Engineering team in the San Jose office and contribute to an expanding and complex suite of products in the big data environment.
This security writer will work across our product set (platform as well as the consumer/producer side) and document all things security. They will handle documenting security vulnerabilities, produce conceptual security info, create reference and task information associated with security features, and monitor security bugs for documentation impact. They will have broad responsibility and therefore they must be conscientious, detail oriented, reliable, and self-driven. The need to be able to juggle multiple simultaneous projects. They will collaborate closely with product managers, developers, field personnel and other writers. They will, at times, be called on to do some other product documentation. They need to understand industry standard security concepts and technology including SASL and Kerberos.
In addition to writing the documentation for these products, the writer will engage creatively in all aspects of software development and delivery, working closely with Engineering, QA, Technical Support, Education Services, and technical teams in the field.
Required Skills and Experience
- Proven, deep understanding of security concepts and technology, including SASL and Kerberos.
- Extensive experience creating security content for a wide range of audiences (administrators, developers, end-users)
- Experience using industry-standard authoring and publishing tools such as Oxygen or XMetaL.
- In-depth understanding of the content development process from end to end (planning, authoring, review, publishing, and maintenance)
- Experience with documentation standards (especially DITA XML)
- Conscientious, detail oriented, reliable, and self-driven.
- Comfortable juggling multiple simultaneous projects.
- Experiencepublishing/distributing content via the Web
- Minimum of 5 years of experience documenting enterprise software products and/or open-source solutions
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Engineering, Technical Writing, Writing, Communications, or English
- Experience writing about MPP systems, including relational databases and Hadoop software
- Familiarity with UNIX/Linux commands and scripting
- Working knowledge of SQL commands and queries
- Familiarity with agile development processes and tools
- Ability to read and understand code
- Thrives in a startup/incubator environment
- Uses the hands-on approach to developing documentation
- Takes ownership of projects and deliverables
- Takes initiative and requires minimal supervision