This position will report to the Manager of Transmission Engineering Protection and Controls and the position will be located in Lake Mary, Florida.
The person in this position will work as part of a project team to develop detailed project scopes, layouts of control equipment enclosures, detailed elementary, schematic and wiring diagram drawings and plans required for construction of specific substation projects.
The work performed by this unit requires an understanding of power systems, transformers, protective relaying and electricalengineering principles.
The person will be involved in the design of high voltage substations at voltages of 13kV, 69kV, 115kV, 230kV and 500kV. The person in this position must be able to manage multiple projects in various stages of design so as to meet project scheduledeadlines; provide design support to field personnel during project implementation; and develop and maintain sufficient level of expertise in use of CADD software for efficient production of engineering work.
Normal job functions are performed on a Monday through Friday schedule with some system travelrequired; must be available for call-out and work during system emergencies.
This is the career/senior level of the Engineering classification hierarchy. Employees at this level manage work in engineering areas of specialization, with minimal supervision. Incumbents are expected to develop advanced skills and to have the ability to work independently, with guidance limited to unusual or complex projects or issues.
They are fully competent in use of concepts and procedures . They identify problems, develop solutions and take actions to resolve. Senior Engineer represents a level at which career may stabilize for many years.
Major Job Duties:
- Provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems of increasing scope and complexity in both inside as well as outside the scope of typical responsibility
- Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities; decisions may affect the operations or results of the work group and may have some impact on major projects or department results
- Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches related to defined problems and analysis of increasing scope and complexity
- Conducts engineering and related studies; completes non-routine engineering projects with minimal oversight with the ability to independently manage project schedules and interfaces; competent to design, operate and maintain systems with moderate impact on existing systems
- Possesses and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures; proficient in technical and analytical competencies necessary to handle assignments of increasing complexity
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files
- Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program or state registration as a Professional Engineer. A Master's degree in engineering will be considered in lieu of the B. S. engineeringdegree
- 5 years of engineeringexperience
- Registration as a Professional Engineer
- Proficient in principles of project management
- Experience in the utility industry
- Proficient in engineering theories and principles
- Proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
- Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Experience in an electric utilities transmission engineering department
- Experience with transmission (electric utility) protection and controls engineering
- Good written and oral communication skills