Req No. 2017-1965
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The field-based National Account Manager – Federal Sector (NAM) is responsible for expanding patient access to Cologuard® by forming partnerships within the Federal sector. The federal sector is critical to Exact Sciences as this market accounts for nearly 10% of the entire U.S. market. The NAM – Federal Sector will drive adoption of Cologuard within regional Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) health systems (VISN, VA Med Centers, CBOCs, MTFs, etc.). This includes developing relationships, securing Cologuard in clinical guidelines/policy, operationalizing utilization of Cologuard, understanding procurement processes, and facilitating cross-functional implementation. Within the assigned accounts, the position will have ownership and accountability for achievement of sales targets for Cologuard.
The position will partner cross-functionally within the internal organization (IT, project management/implementation, billing, lab operations, etc.) to execute pull through plans and serve as the customer-facing leader for assigned accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop relationships with the high potential bases within the region (e.g., Army, Navy, and Air Force) as well as Veterans Health Administration and Tricare, with an objective to fully understand their goals specific to colorectal cancer screening, barriers and opportunities, purchasing processes, laboratory processes, and decision making processes
- Evaluate market opportunities (VISN, VA Med Centers, CBOCs, MTFs, etc.) to identify targeted accounts
- Target and close for Cologuard adoption & access, and pull-through of regional accounts
- Accurately forecast sales volumes in conjunction with channel development department for assigned accounts
- Identify and developing long term regional partnerships
- Monitor product utilization, penetration, velocity and other key performance metrics within assigned accounts
- Influence academic institutions affiliated with VA system and instill Cologuard as a screening option within medical education
- Manage the contracting/RFP process
- Develop and execute business plan to drive acceptance of Cologuard within assigned accounts and geographies.
- Work in coordination with program manager to internally navigate operations of unique ordering processes, and marketing for strategy/resource support unique to this segment
Communication & Teamwork
- Coordinate with channel development team and other internal or field teams based on business opportunities within regional accounts.
- Partner with medical affairs and market access teams to remove barriers to entry within this segment
- Coordinate with marketing communications on public relations with federal sector advocacy and policy initiatives
- Own pull through plans for assigned accounts and the coordination of resources.
- Represent the customer voice to internal stakeholders including sales leadership, marketing, sales operations, channel strategy and development, and other internal support functions
- Maintain accurate and complete account profiles, call notes and histories.
- Identify and utilize company resources to provide the technical, clinical and business expertise to deliver solutions that exceed customer expectations
- Coordinating billing/workflow strategies with Revenue Cycle Management and lab teams given the use of the credit card, VA Choice, etc.
- Identifying clinical/administrative champions and developing those relationships in partnership with Medical Affairs
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience in successfully navigating access and selling health systems, hospitals, academic institutions, and other alternate channels (i.e. retail, payer, employer, etc.)
- At least 8+ years of sales and/or marketing experience in the healthcare space, such as the diagnostic, surgical or pharmaceutical verticals, demonstrating progressively increasing responsibilities or scope.
- Must possess strong analytical skills, and effective account management.
- Must be self-directed; acting as a change agent and as such have results orientation, with an ability to work independently and make decisions in a dynamic environment dealing with internal and external issues.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and manage time and multiple projects across an array of customer types.
- Effective presentation skills; able to present ideas and evidence-based scientific and economic data to customers in a way that produces understanding and impact.
- Willingness to travel at least 50-60% of time.
- Military background or in depth understanding of the VA and DoD structure is strongly preferred
- Experience in business development with a proven track record of success.
- Experience in contracting and negotiations, and able to manage the contracting process.
- Experience in the laboratory industry and/or gastroenterology and molecular diagnostics.
- Experience in project management with strong analytical skills
- Ability to work in team environment to achieve success
- MBA or Master’s degree.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and up to 6 hours at a time.
- Ability to travel (by land and air), both domestically and internationally, on occasion.
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, and vendors in person, via the telephone or by email.
- Constant walking or motion to coordinate work and interact with co-workers.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis.