Responsible for setting technical work direction for the Muscatine Plant Environmental Team to ensure compliance with local, state and federal Environmental regulatory requirements and implementation of related programs integral to supporting the plant and manufacturing operations. Provides guidance and expertise to the manufacturing site, and fosters a safe climate for the employees, community, and the environment to maintain our Freedom to Operate.The position provides support for the implementation and execution of Environmental programs integral to the system robustness of those programs. The position also provides technical and compliance support for the Muscatine manufacturing plant, including support for new processes, process modifications, and plant experiments.
Scope / Specific Responsibilities of the Position:
- Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of existing and proposed Federal, State and Local environmental legislation and regulations; including RCRA, HSWA, CERCLA, NEPA, EPCRA/SARA, OPA, TSCA, SDWA, CAA and CWA.
- Provide oversight for the Environmental Team which is responsible for assuring plant compliance with legal and other requirements such as local, state and federal environmental regulations and Corporate ES&H guidelines.
- Develop and monitor the department budget and support budgetforecasting activities.
- Assist the Environmental Team in interpreting and implementing regulatory and internal requirements and ensuring that the plant understands those requirements.
- Ensure regulatory reports, permit applications, etc. are submitted in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Lead the development and implementation of environmental programs (management systems) through influence.
- Facilitate the communication between the SQESH Area Leader and the Environmental Team
- Support the analysis and resolution of minor operation interruptions and upsets related to environmental issues Balancing workload within the group based on business priorities
- Support and network with Ag Chem and Corporate Environmental team
- Provide support and leadership for SQESH Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
Education B.S. in Chemical or Environmental Engineering or related engineering discipline
- 7 years of environmental support for an industrial manufacturing facility
- Broad-based technical or specialized knowledge working with air regulations, including air permitting and compliance
- 10+ years of environmental support for an industrial manufacturing facility
- 5+ years in an environmental role for a chemical manufacturing plant
Competencies/Skills The position requires strong written and verbal communication skills, strong problem solving skills, the ability to read and interpret complex environmental regulations and the integrity to assure compliance is met even if the impact is unfavorable for the plant. Strong personal initiative, basic knowledge of environmental and chemical engineering principles, the ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with regulatory personnel are also a must. Broad people leadership skills are needed including coaching, influencing, conflict resolution, and team/individual goal setting.
Ideal Candidate Will Also Possess:
• Experience with Federal and other states regulations with a focus on Iowa • Previous experience in manufacturing as well as environmental engineering positions
• Demonstrated skills in time management and managing multiple priorities to meet set deadlines
• Demonstrated decision making skills
• Broad-based technical or specialized knowledge in one or more environmental media (air, water, waste)
• Previous experience working with regulatory personnel Description of Specific Work Conditions and Physical Requirements: The position is in a manufacturing environment and although it requires significant time in the office, it may also require the ability to access all areas of the plant to support and review plant engineering projects, develop and implement stack testing, troubleshoot problems and investigate release incidents. It is unlikely, but possible, that the job could require use of a respirator in some situations. Limited amounts of travel are required for project reviews, training and core team meetings. Some after hours support is expected.
Req ID 01KCC