The primary responsibility of the position will focus on three areas; Process Improvement, Business Performance and Thermal Performance. The Process Improvement role will help identify, lead and participate in various continuous improvement projects employing the AES Performance Excellence (APEX), LeanSix Sigma and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) approaches. The Business Performance role will analyze lagging Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and work in conjunction with the businesses to develop, track, report and analyze leading KPIs. The Thermal Performance role will involve working with the plant Heat Rate Champion(s) to monitor and diagnose unit equipment to optimize overall plant performance.
This position will report to the Asset & Performance Management team, specifically the Manager of the Performance team and will be physically located at Shady Point in Panama, Oklahoma or Warrior Run in Cumberland, Maryland and will be responsible for both locations. The split responsibilities will require frequent travel between the sites. The Performance Engineer will interact closely with the Plant Manager, APEX Leader and the Performance Manager.
The successful candidate will be able to make business decisions in a manner consistent with the shared principles and values of AES.
- Will work in conjunction with the Business APEX Champion to identify continuous improvement projects, track their progress and quantify their financial impact.
- Become Black Belt certified in the APEX Continuous Improvement Processes and provide associated training and education to site personnel.
- Facilitate continuous improvement activities that include the RCA and Management of Change (MOC) processes.
- Coach the business on the Asset Life Cycle Plan (ALCP) development process and tools, and on the proper use of the ALCP SharePoint site.
- Assist the businesses with the development of Asset Life Cycle Plans, support the Asset Management Team when requested, and contribute to the process as a Subject Matter Expert (SME).
- Work with the business to develop challenging and achievable performance targets (KPIs), explain KPI variances and develop recovery plans.
- Work with the business to develop, track, report and analyze leading KPIs.
- Become proficient in the use of the MicroGADS software in order to be able to provide data quality review and analysis and assist with report development
- Work with the business to interpret and implement reporting standards and policies.
- Support the Investment Planning team by completing CapEx and OpEx reviews prior to budget submittals.
- Support Reliability Improvement and the ALCP process.
- Support the business by collecting and conducting statistical analyses of performance data in order to identify issues and make recommendations to the business’ O&M team.
- Participate in the Heat Rate Assessment process and facilitate the development, execution and tracking of the gap action plans.
- Develop a keen awareness of the business commercial situation in order to evaluate and optimize performance based on these business drivers.
- Become proficient in the equipment and performance monitoring and diagnostic tools available to the business (e.g., EtaPRO, PI DataLink, etc.) to facilitate tracking and troubleshooting of operational performance.
- Support the business Heat Rate Champion(s).
- Where applicable ensure plant compliance with MATS combustion tuning requirements.
- Provide oversight on performance testing of power plant equipment. This may require developing test protocols and performance test procedures, verifying plant performance calculations and coordinating with other engineers for successful test completion.
- Provide support of major and minor outages as they relate to performance evaluation and improvement processes. (i.e. Steam Path Audits)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent technical field from an accredited college/university and 10 years of experience or relevant technical equivalent required.
- Candidate must be innovative, possess strong troubleshooting skills, and must be flexible, having the ability to organize, prioritize, execute and follow up on many concurrent duties, as well as adapt quickly to changes in business priorities.
- Ability to establish trust through relationship-building and demonstration of technical capabilities.
- Strong coaching skills and safety awareness.
- Proficient in one or more of the three focus area; Process Improvement, Business Performance or Thermal Performance. A training and development program will be established to close any skills gap.
- Strong communication skills, both written & oral.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office bundle including Excel, Project and Visio
- Planning and project management skills for multiple change efforts.
- US Citizen or possess an unrestricted US Work Permit, (i.e. must be currently eligible to work in the United States).