This position participates in or leads project work groups in the design, development, implementation, maintenance and upgrade of applications and information systems that support Advancement.
Skills & Knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of software development, data design, systems analysis techniques, and specialized knowledge of administrative functions.
- Familiarity with data extract, report writer and spreadsheet software tools.
- Business analyst and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively.
- Leadership skills.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
- Familiarity with DatabaseArchitecture.
- Ability to understand, read and code using state of the art languages and techniques.
- Project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work in a collaborative, fast-paced team environment and to work cooperatively with others.
- Six years of experience in the design, development, and implementation of complex systems, preferably in a college or university setting.
- Six years of Oracle SQL, PL/SQLexperience.
- Software development experience with at least one institutional financial, accounting, or management information system.
- Prior experience with software development tools.
- Programming experience in a multi-tier and multi-application interface environment.
- Experience writing and working off of complex, technical specifications.
- Oracle APEXexperience desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, with six years of relevant experience in the design, development, and implementation of complex information systems, or the equivalent.
SEIU LevelNot an SEIU PositionFLSAExemptEmployment CategoryRegular Full TimeDepartment Contact for Cover LetterLesa KnappEqual Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
- Manages a portfolio of projects and support/maintenance tasks with varying degrees of individual and team accountabilities.
- Acts as project lead for various sized projects, and manages the planning and execution of information systems projects to ensure a successful completion.
- Creates a project plan with level of detail depending on the complexity of the project, outlines tasks, the timeline to test and implement solution, and execute the plan. Proactively manages and takes ownership of projects assigned.
- Advises Director of opportunities for and the ramifications of the use or expanded use of existing systems.
- As a member of the team, provides leadership and recommends strategies to support keeping information systems environment operating at optimal performance and responsive to current and future needs.
- Analyzes and refines business and functional requirements, anticipates issues, thinks proactively and uses critical thinking skills to identify best solutions for real business needs.
- Designs, codes, tests, and documents custom programs and /or changes to application modules and reports of varying complexity.
- Diagnoses/resolves technical problems independently, articulates and discussion solutions with peers in a confident manner with a view to getting input to provide the best solution.
- Provides ongoing maintenance support of existing systems.
- Determines efficient data sources, processing requirements, output formats, timing issues, and cost estimates associated with a new system implementation or upgrades.
- Identifies gaps between software functionality and business requirements and suggests potential solutions. Reports findings and recommendations to the project manager.
- Implements and documents user/technical support procedures.
- Prepares detailed specifications from which programs will be written.
- With assistance from the systems managers, and/or database administrators, installs, configures, and tests packaged application software.
- May develop or assist in the development of training sessions for users or otherprogrammer/analysts involved in systems related work.
- Works with other computing support groups to provide ongoing support for departments in the use of various College systems, including continuing improvements in system usage, problem resolution, and additional training.
- Must maintain a current knowledge of system software and hardware which will include attending workshops, reading journals and vendor documentation.
- Works independently with minimal supervision.
- Deploys code to non-production databases for test and follows approved procedures for production code deployment.
- Follows security best practices and institutional policies and procedures regarding access to and security of systems and data.
- Works with vendors on maintenance of various processes, i.e. zip code/area code updates, data transfer/load processes, etc.
COMMUNICATION / MENTORSHIP
- Provides leadership in the group by mentoring junior staff and sharing technical knowledge, offering advice, providing assistance, recommending improvements in processes, promoting a positive and collaborative environment and communicating concerns in a constructive and timely manner.
- Develops understanding of similarities and differences in diverse cultures through employee education programs.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.