WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 34,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Project Manager, Transit, to join our Rail & Transit Division. Reporting to the Department Manager, this position will be responsible for managing multi-disciplinary teams responsible for delivering complex projects on time, within budget and with quality results. The Senior Project Manager will plan, organize, monitor, and oversee one or more projects, with fees ranging from $250,000 to over $1,000,000. Projects may include policy reviews, research, operational reviews, network planning, transit planning and design, and construction administration. Types of projects may include bus, light rail, commuter rail or subway infrastructure, new or expanded stations and mobility hubs, operations and maintenance facilities, commuter parking facilities, and other associated transit works. The Senior Project Manager will also act as Team Leader for Transit Department staff located in the Toronto office, providing overall guidance and mentorship to staff, and assisting with business development activities.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams of Project Managers, Engineers, Planners, Designers, Inspectors, and other staff as required;
- Lead the teams through the successful completion of medium to large complex projects while managing multiple projects at a time;
- Prepare project work plans and schedules, and obtain management/client approval;
- Maintain regular communication with clients regarding project status and project quality, and proactively resolve issues;
- Manage relationships with project stakeholders, including internal and external clients and vendors, regulatory authorities and technical agencies, and the public. This involves keeping the stakeholders informed of progress and issues in order to manage expectations on all project requirements and deliverables, and meet the project schedule;
- Proactively track, analyze and report on actual performance against the plan, and prepare cost and schedule reporting, both for clients and as part of internal reporting processes. Address change management matters promptly and professionally with clients and internal departments;
- Analyze project management and project delivery risks, establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating mitigating action;
- Lead and manage business development initiatives including Requests for Qualifications and Requests for Proposals; with input from others, compile a comprehensive and realistic scope of work, and prepare a complete and accurate fee estimate, in a format suitable for obtaining the required management approvals;
- As Team Leader, provide mentoring, assistance, encouragement and motivation to team members, including assisting the Department Manager with the establishment of development and performance goals, fostering an environment focused on achievement, and formal and informal performance review; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- A University Degree in Engineering, Planning or equivalent, with 15+ years in Project Management and experience on large, complex engineering and construction projects. Experience within an engineering consulting environment is preferred;
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams of project professionals; concurrently managing issues, scope and quality while bringing projects to successful completion within the cost and time requirements;
- Experience with complex transit infrastructure, including bus, light rail, commuter rail and subway technologies, facilities, stations and associated infrastructure;
- Familiarity with all commonly used project delivery models;
- Strong business development and client management skills, including sound understanding of contract law, scheduling techniques, and budget development;
- Experience in project planning, risk management, cost management and schedule management, and methods of analyzing and reporting project performance on financial and other KPIs;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including experience making presentations to senior management, elected officials and the public;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; the ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience; competence in clear, concise and tactful communication with senior management, clients, peers and staff;
- Strategic, conceptual analytical thinking and decision making skills;
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change;
- Negotiating skills within a context of political sensitivity and conflicting interests; and
- Proficiency with project management software tools