Cancer Care Coordinator
5 - 7 years experience • Patient Care
Under physician direction, acts as a coordinator of patient care activities, patient education, and communication hub for all team members caring for the patient. Prepares for and coordinates patient visits in the physician practice so that all problems are addressed either by the Coordinator, physician or by other appropriate team members. The Coordinator assumes responsibility and accountability for the patient experience so that high-quality outcomes are achieved for each cancer patient.
1. The Coordinator’s primary function is to assure a coordinated Plan of Care by managing the care as directed by the oncology physicians and the entire healthcare team. This includes scheduling appointments/tests, procedures, test result management, patient education, initiatation of standing orders for certain conditions and problems, patient contact for any issues or questions, prescription refills, and involving other support services as needed. He/She is the central point of contact for patients and families throughout their entire journey. (10%)
2. He/She is involved in both medical and non-medical aspects of the patient experience, including the following: (20%)
a. Attends patient appointments to assist in explaining medical terms, verification that patients fully understand all medical terminology, test results, treatment options and visits schedule.
b. Checks on patients at home to make sure all appointments are made and kept, schedules are followed, medications are being taken, symptoms are controlled questions and concerns are
c. Initiates referrals for supplementary or community services that may be helpful.
3. Patient problem management. Uses standing orders to manage patient symptoms or conditions as approved by the attending oncology physicians. (30%)
4. Communication. Acts as the communication hub for all members of the healthcare team and the patient. (5%)
5. Patient Education. Assists patients in the interpretation and understanding of test results, supplements information on treatments and disease process. Attends the review of Survivorship Care Plans with patients after treatment is completed. Educates patients on surveillance, symptom recognition, and follow up care. (15%)
6. Delegation. Assigns tasks to Medical Assistants, i.e., assuring medical record is complete, obtaining lab work, calling patients when appropriate, etc. (5%)
7. He/She provides emotional support, and counseling, related to the clinical situation. (10%)
8. Performs other work duties as assigned. (5%)
Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the state of Missouri Required.
Nursing Diploma or Associates in Nursing Required.
BSN or completion of BSN within 5 years of hire date is required.
- Minimum of five years oncology nursing experience, required.
- Basic Life Support
- Biotherapy and Chemotherapy Certification required within one year of hire
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Needs to be sympathetic and provide emotional support to the patient.
- Should be organized and able to do multi-tasks.
- Should be able to work in tough, stressful conditions with a positive attitude.
Job ID 2017-10480