Applications Engineers are the “expert users” QED’s polishing and metrology products. They perform technology demonstrations for new customers; provide service/support for existing customers, train customers and internal personnel, and support process-related activities for other departments (Sales & Marketing, Engineering, R&D, etc.)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates and executes customer demonstrations, ensuring all customer needs are met.
- Coordinates all aspects of a customer job or demonstration, including fixture design, metrology procedure, process & machine setup and analysis of results.
- Writes internal and external reports documenting process and results of customer demonstrations, process experiments, etc.
- Provides detailed documentation for polishing and metrology activities, including work instructions, applications notes, use cases and technical papers.
- Provides applications and installation/training support to Customer Service.
- Provides process verification/testing support to new product development and product improvements, to communicate customer/user perspective (VOC) to engineering team.
- Participate in (new product development) engineering project teams especially in the later phases devoted to testing/validating/running of prototypes in the Applications Lab.
- Participate in continuous improvement engineering project teams or sub-teams, especially those that are focused on improving components of our existing polishing and metrology products.
- Tests ability of machines to perform designated tasks, and confers with service & engineering personnel to troubleshoot and resolve system malfunctions.
- Develops and conducts training programs on the safe operations of the equipment, and demonstrates skills to trainees, including both team members and customers.
- Coordinates presale demonstrations and trade show exhibitions including, set-up, demonstration, and discussion with potential customers.
- Coordinates and executes process development activities for new markets. Develops models of alternate processing methods to test feasibility of new applications of system components, and recommends implementation of improved procedures.
- Participates in technical meetings, conferences, seminars, and training sessions to stay apprised of new developments in field. Writes papers and presents poster/presentations related to new results and/or capabilities of QED’s technology.
- Confers with workers in other departments, such as marketing, R&D, and engineering, to provide technical information.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) or Master's degree (M.S.) in Optics, Physics or related field (or equivalent); or four to six years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in optical fabrication is preferred (generating, grinding, lapping, polishing, sub-aperture polishing, ion beam figuring, magnetorheological finishing, interferometry, other forms of optical testing of plano, spheres, aspheres).
- Experience in data analysis, experimental design, statistical analysis, and frequency analysis is required.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Machine control software; Metrology instrument software; Optical design software; Mathematical analysis software; MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
Other Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written & oral communication skills are required, as frequent interaction with customers is a key responsibility.
- Approximately ~20% travel, domestically and/or internationally, is currently expected to perform the essential function of this position.
Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Salary Grade 10 Position Applications Engineer I Post Internal Days 0 Location USA - New York - Rochester About the Organization Cabot Microelectronics Corporation, headquartered in Aurora, Illinois, is the world's leading supplier of CMP polishing slurries and a growing CMP pad supplier to the semiconductor industry. The company's products play a critical role in the production of advanced semiconductor devices, enabling the manufacture of smaller, faster and more complex devices by its customers. The company's mission is to create value by developing reliable and innovative solutions, through close customer collaboration, that solve today's challenges and help enable tomorrow's technology. Please visit Cabot Microelectronics for more information on our company.