Our client is a global chemical company, one of the largest in the world with over 110,000 employees. Financially sound and will offer infinite career opportunities to professionals. Company offers excellent pay, benefits and full relocation to include home purchase.
Candidates with experience in Laboratory environment is preferred. Professional certification such as CIH, CSP, PE preferred. R&D facility and automotive coating processing lines that mirror the same systems used in assembly plants.
The selected individual will be responsible for supporting, facilitating and implementation of health and safety programs designed to assure compliance with corporate and regulatory requirements (federal, state, local) for the Southfield and Wixom, MI facilities. This includes three business group functions, all onsite Research & Development, and the Remote and Technical communities. Occasional support of other sites within the Hub will also be required. The incumbent will have proven expertise in both occupational safety and working knowledge of hazardous waste, and can generate innovative solutions for continuous EHS improvement. Additional experience in Environmental Programs is desirable, but not required. This position reports to the EHS Team Leader.
- Provide technical and regulatory expertise to ensure occupational safety and environmental compliance at the respective sites as part of a zero-incident mindset.
- Contribute strategic leadership and work with management on identified EHS issues/recommendations/opportunities to foster continuous improvement of EHS programs and culture.
- Ensure all program elements are developed under the principles of Operations Line Management Accountability for EHS.
- Assist sites with implementation of corporate standardized EHS policies and procedures including, but not limited to, OSHA Laboratory Standard, Safe Work Permits, Job Safety Analysis, Management of Change, Incident/Accident investigation, lockout/tagout, confined space entry, hot work permits, forklift and elevated surfaces work, hoists and cranes, electrical safety, and ergonomics.
- Participate in capital project reviews consistent with the level of industrial hygiene and safety expertise needed.
- Provide operational support for Environmental Programs including RCRA compliance and pollution prevention.
- Support emergency response activities through the development of required drills and coordination of annual training.
- Effectively use the corporate Environmental Management System tool to ensure EHS tasks are identified and completed at the sites.
- Support the interface with regulatory agencies and third parties, as needed, on compliance and enforcement issues.
- Provide field presence and daily support to include, but not limited to, reinforcing a culture of behavior-based safety, field audits/inspections, and coordinate/track findings
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 2 years of experience in EHS and/or Operations within the laboratory and/or manufacturing industry; OR an Associate’s degree with 7 years of experience in EHS and/or Operations within the laboratory and/or manufacturing industry. Degree in Engineering, Safety, Chemistry, Emergency Response, or a related field is preferred.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to travel up to 20% of the time
- Ability to interact with research & development technician and leaders as well as business management.
- Capability of engaging with state and federal regulatory agencies, the local community, elected officials, and non-governmental organizations.
- MS Office proficiency is required.
- A professional certification (i.e., Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Safety Professional, Professional Engineer).