Eastman is a global specialty chemical company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With a portfolio of specialty businesses, Eastman works withcustomers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. Its market-driven approaches take advantage of world-class technology platforms and leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. Eastman focuses on creating consistent, superior value for all stakeholders. As a globally diverse company, Eastman serves customers in approximately 100 countries and had 2015 revenues of approximately $9.6 billion. The company is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA and employs approximately 15,000 people around the world.
The individual selected for this position will be responsible for developing fundamental technical insights into architectural coatings systems to support growth in the Additives and Functional Products business.
- Comply with all corporate, division, and group safety requirements
- Demonstrate commitment to continual safety improvement and model good safety behaviors
- Lead research and development, and identification of new technologies in collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Identify knowledge gaps and design research efforts to resolve these gaps
- Develop and test new ideas directed at improving coatings properties that enable differentiated offerings to the architectural coating segments through improved performance, reduced cost and increased efficiency
- Determine fitness-for-use criteria for specific applications and reduce these to fundamental materials properties using knowledge of structure-process-property relationships
- Provide technical insight to customer facing teams, with emphasis on the Architectural Segment, to develop new products for new and existing customers
- Generate physical property and performance data to support IP and technology development
- Develop understanding of customer requirements and testing procedures to enable new product development
- Develop a deep understanding of coatings and materials used and regulatory requirements in the architectural coatings industry
- Maintain awareness of competitive products and benchmark alternative technologies
- Build knowledge of new coatings technologies relevant to Eastman via scientific literature, patents, and industry publications
- Establish peer level connect with the external technical community in order to maintain an up to date understanding of the market dynamics, industry trends and to support customer engagement
- Serve as a resource for internal and external customers on market specific product and process technology
- Follow all laboratory quality and safety standards
- Experience characterizing architectural coatings additives, resins and formulations is highly desirable.
- Understanding of latex synthesis and characterization, pigment dispersions, and surfactants is required
- Assess and communicate customer needs and project results to marketing, manufacturing, technology, and business partners, tailoring the communication to the audience
- Document results accurately and in a timely manner using e-notebook, technical reports, and invention reports, as required
- Serve on cross-functional teams to support new product commercialization, as required
- Develop effective working relationships with Eastman sales, business, and technical personnel
- PhD in coatings, polymer science, physics, chemistry, materials science, or a related field
- At least 3 years of experience working with aqueous dispersions or emulsions (may include graduate research)
- Able to relocate to Kingsport, TN
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.