- Fully experienced manager who leads and directs a group of design release engineers or technical employees responsible for engineering deliverables in support of projects and/or programs.
- Provides technical leadership and guides the team to successful execution of vehicle programs.
- Develops new products, processes, standards, or operational plans in support of the organization's business strategies with a direct impact on business and/or function overall results.
- Influences others within the organization to accept new concepts, practices, and approaches.
- Interacts and collaborates with many teams cross-functionally.
- May include identifying problems, updating or modifying working methods that may be complex in their work area without the benefit of defined procedures.
- Promotes GM's values and makes customer-focused decisions.
- Responsible for staffing, communicating, training and development, directing and prioritization of work, evaluating performance and removing roadblocks.
- Leads team on new methods or initiatives without defined procedures.
- Leads team to meet targets.
- Reviews and approves engineering documentation, e.g. requirements, documents.
- Hiring: Identifies & leads staffing initiatives for work team.
- Conducts regularly scheduled Group Meetings, Communicates GM Policies & Procedures, Leadership and Safety Messages.
- Creates and communicates vision& strategies specific to functional responsibilities.
- May include preparing and giving presentations.
- Insures employees complete all mandatory GM training and any specific training related to functional responsibility.
- Understands & supports employee's career development goals.
- Develops and executes initiatives to improve work team capability and increase work team capacity.
- Assigns and manages workload for direct reports.
- Sets individual employee and group priorities.
- Reviews and approves employee work and overtime schedules, expenses, and other work-related data.
- Reviews deliverables and provides candid & constructive feedback.
- Conducts performance interventions when necessary.
- Observes and steps up to remove roadblocks and resolve potential issues.
This position requires the ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.
- Experience in wiring design for transportation products
- Benchmarking and competitive analysis.
- Vehicle performance or development experience.
- Design/release or related experience.
- Thorough understanding of fundamental principals involved in engineering principles.
- Technical depth and ability to provide technical alternatives to balance imperatives.
- Broad knowledge and ability to understand GM Policies and Procedures.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of administrative and engineering systems and tools used by work team and those who interface with work team.
- Broad technical skills and abilities in specific and related areas of responsibility.
- Competent with conflict management and complex problem solving.
- Ability to communicate, motivate and inspire direct reports and others.
- Ability to champion and lead change within group and with others related to group; can lead team to consensus when needed.
- Ability to work independently to solve highly complex problems.
- Interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally to grow relationships and partnerships.
- Ability to hold employees and related groups accountable for deliverables.
- Demonstrates innovative and strategic thinking and initiative to take action in support of positive change.
- Demonstrates honesty, integrity and trust. Leads by example.
- Estimating and work planning skills
- BS - Engineering or equivalent work experiencerequired.
- Masters DegreeEngineering or Business preferred
- DFSS Black Belt Certified.
- 10+ years of related experience.