Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum'sfinancial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from thefinancial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
Responsibility in delivering an overall solution that results in a significant competitive advantage for Unum by working with key initiative leaders and by applying agile methodology e.g. design and implementation of (continuous) changes within the area of responsibility in line with the change agenda (within budget, timelines and quality standards) considering the overall strategy of the Operations and Technology organizations. Responsible for (long term) planning and directing an organization's strategic agenda including long range goals within the area of Benefits delivery. Implement and manage Lean Management system with 3 major dimensions: customer experience, employee engagement and efficiency. The main areas of focus are:
o Embedding a culture & behaviors for sustainable growth;
o Adding strong end-to-end focus on process improvement;
o Enabling faster benefit realization through the agile use of technology; and
o Continued tracking, huddles, side-by-sides and process standardization
Deliver a differentiated offering through market-leading leave management solutions and development of Productivity as a Service ecosystem. Serving as a key conduit between UUS segment priorities and the Benefits organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Create a distinctive absence managementexperiencethat serves as a defensible beachhead in the relationship with our clients:
- Assess and develop a roadmap to connect with HRIS platforms, thereby building the ecosystem of delivery platforms
- Develop expanded and enhanced absence management offering supported by robust services to maximize workforce productivity for our clients
- Develop and execute operational plans (including budget) of the department aligned with the overall strategy of the Operations and Technology organizations
- Setting up and managing the Model Office
- In charge on design and implementation of the change agenda by consulting, pro-active informing, monitoring and steering the change activities
- Accountable for the innovation, standardization and optimization of associated products and processes as well as applicable technology
- Manage the work of the staff, execute proactive resource management and is responsible for the quality of team output, timelines and efficiency of team activities
- Contribute to knowledge management and skills development within the area of responsibility including steering on standardization and simplification of activities
- Effectively collaborate with and influence a variety of internal business partners (e.g. Global Services (IT), members of the sales organization, administration, marketing, claims and underwriting) in ensuring that the design and development of our offerings align with our strategic intent and the evolving market opportunities
- Manage cross initiative decisions / tradeoff evaluations
- Requires Bachelor’s degree. Masters preferred.
- Exhibits strong leadership skills, including the ability to effectively partner, problem solve, and influence others.
- Unique combination of problem solving, analytical and strong project management skills
- Must be a strategic thinker but able to execute at a tactical level
- Benefits/line management/underwriting/risk management, marketing and/or consulting experience of 10+ years required.
- Proven ability to understand and balance distribution needs and considerations with risk management considerations to achieve desired objectives.
- Proven experience managing IT and business initiatives
- Strong understanding of the technology needs required to effectively develop, enhance and service products
- Understanding of regulatory environment, especially as it relates to the processing of claims payments
- Proven abilities regarding talent development, inclusive of attracting, developing and retaining talent
- Proficient in cultivating a strong personal network across the organization