A Career With Meaning
If you’re looking for a company that prizes integrity and excellence, balance and flexibility, achievement and celebration, let’s talk.
Your Fast Track to Success
GATX is known worldwide as a leader in leasing transportation assets and controls one of the largest railcar fleets in the world. The key to the long-term growth and success of GATX is attracting and retaining the most talented people from around the world. We seek individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration and dedication are deeply woven into the corporate culture.
This position is responsible for the planning, direction and execution of all invoicing processes for GATX North America and Adler including rental, mileage and repair (GATX shops, contract shops, Railroads, Locomotive Field Services) billing to ensure integrity of revenue recognition, attainment of miscellaneous billing targets and forecasts, and achievement of adherence to company procedures and policies in the billing areas. In addition to managing the processes, this position requires critical decision making in determining what is/is not billable to end customers and the associated value of that liability which becomes revenue or expense recovery for GATX Rail while continuing to maintain positive customer relationships. This position also oversees the distribution of invoices to end customers in various formats and involves direct customer contact.
- Manage a staff of 5, Billing Specialists (4) and Sr. Mileage Analyst (1), in ensuring that accurate and timely revenue recognition occurs. Handle escalations from the billing specialists as needed. Work with various levels of internal and external customers to ensure completion of tasks. Train and guide billing staff on new processes and procedures.
- Responsible for the development and continued management of all billing functions (rental, mileage, repair, railroad, locomotive and materials). Drive continuous process improvement to ensure billing activities appropriately support Rail’s ability to seek payment of expected revenues while sustaining positive client relationships. Lead cross-functional teams potentially comprised of finance, accounting, information technology, operations and commercial to improve the customer experience and exceed customer expectations in the billing arena. Partner with customers to develop customized solutions for billing-related data requests. Provide consultative advice to other departments within GATX such as Fleet, Contracts, Commercial in ensuring customer contracts are established properly in SAP.
- Provide support to Director of Accounting by preparing, maintaining, reviewing, publishing and analyzing all performance metrics achieved by the billing group for purposes of performance tracking for the team and assist in audit and SOX requirements as needed throughout the year.
- Accountable for meeting KPI’s as set by senior management. Identify and develop billing related technology enhancements opportunities. Collaborate with IT to prioritize and accelerate implementation.
- External business owners and senior executives.
- GATX Rail—All levels
- Customers of GATX—at all levels
- External and Internal auditors
- Customer Service Reps and other experts of internal support groups of GATXRAIL as well as those of our customers.
- Accounts Payable staff of our customers.
Education and/or Experiencerequired (including certifications):
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field and work experience of 10+ plus years in billing and/or shop operations.
- Complete understanding of EDI billing required.
- Previous work in a Rail Transportation environment and technical AAR industry knowledge of railroad job codes, qualifies and billing repair card format would be preferred.
- Knowledge of SAP billing modules preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of Microsoft suite of PC applications as well as e-mail required.
- Previous employment in a fast paced, unstructured environment also would help prepare a person for this job.
- Ability to manage a team of people and provide necessary guidance and support; i.e. have strong team building skills
- Understanding of accounting and g/l implications of revenue impacts
- Knowledge of contractlanguage to discern between binding and “gray” areas.
- Time management
- Customer Focus
- Organizational Agility
- Problem Solving
- Strategic Agility
- Decision Quality
- Drive for Results
- Team Building