General Position Summary & Responsibilities:
The Shredder Manager reports to the Facility Manager. The Shredder Manager is responsible for adhering to the environmentally sound, safe, cost effective, and efficient operation of all facility equipment as set forth by the Facility Manager while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards. Duties include overseeing and ensuring the success of the shredding operations, and comprehensive preventative maintenance programs, supervision of associated personnel and equipment, and responsibility for production volumes, efficiency and operating costs.
The Shredder Manager should possess knowledge of machines and tools including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance, as well as knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, and techniques for maximizing operational efficiency.
This position operates under flexible parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the position. Providing the highest quality product safely, effectively and efficiently, while reducing the occurrence of accidents and errors, and increasing profits.
- Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Responsible for safety and environmental compliance across the shredding operations. In conjunction with the Safety Director and Safety Coordinators, leads safety improvement activities and is an active and engaged participant in Alter's safety program.
- Strictly adheres to all Alter Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
- Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Directly oversees management of production and maintenance staff across multiple shifts. To include staffing, performance management, training and development, and associated personnel decisions.
- Sets operating schedules, daily and monthly production goals, and operating processes in conjunction with Facility Manager and other facility management staff.
- Uses metrics including tons/hour, downtime percentage, NF pounds recovered, operating costs, etc. to measure performance and quality of the shredding operation.
- Prepares and monitors monthly operating costs for shredding operations.
- Responsible for entering and maintaining production records.
- Ensures outbound product standards are met for applicable steel mill. specifications
- Identifies, quantifies and drives evaluation of new technology for future implementation at the shredder. Participates fully in company-wide committees on shredder. Shares own and implement others' best practices to improve performance.
- Trained to function occasionally as backup to daily Shredder Operator; may also occasionally operate yard equipment and assist in performance of light equipment maintenance.
- In conjunction with Transportation staff, manages trucking and rail transportation activities related to shredding operation.
- Schedule and coordinate visits and meetings with management, third party contractors, vendors and suppliers, engineering firms, and equipment manufacturers.
- Monitor operations to ensure employees adhere to established policies, procedures, safety guidelines, and state and federal regulations, providing guidance or counseling when needed.
- Arrange for worker training in safety, repair, maintenance, equipment use, or operational procedures.
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned or directed.
- Equipment & Maintenance
- Directs preventative and emergency maintenance activities for the shredder in order to improve both availability and costs.
- Monitors and inspects allocated department equipment to ensure all assets are working within stated guidelines.
- Orders spare or replacement parts and maintains inventory of incoming and existing parts to ensure productions needs are met.
- Maintain log and condition reports of borrowed and used equipment, and ensure equipment operators complete and submit Daily Equipment Inspection reports.
- Report all equipment deficiencies or malfunctions for maintenance or repair to the proper supervisor.
FULL-TIME/PART-TIMEFull-Time EXEMPT/NON-EXEMPTExempt POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions
Ability to: sit rarely; stand and walk frequently on uneven ground and throughout the yard; lift and carry up to 50 pounds consistently; push and pull occasionally when moving materials; crouch or bend at the knees consistently to move or access materials or equipment; stoop or bend at the waist consistently to move materials; reach at arms length and overhead frequently; twist and turn at the neck and trunk continually; climb occasionally when obtaining items; manual dexterity required as the Shredder Manager will handle, grasp, and manipulate materials constantly; communicate by speech and hearing continually. Visual acuity needed for close detail work and documentation. Mental dexterity needed as the Shredder Manager will work independently while demonstrating attention to detail and continuous awareness.
Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred. Must have 3-5 years’ experience supervising personnel and direct responsibility for performance of a heavy equipment production operation. Must be familiar with mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and large motor sub-systems as well as metals recycling operations and shredders. Position is outside in all weather conditions in a heavy manufacturing environment and successful candidates will be hands-on operators as well. Excellent open communication style required to carry out responsibilities with all levels employees. Travel less than 10%, however, must have valid driver’s license.