Marketing and Communications Manager
What You Will Do:
The University of Maryland Medical System is a 12-hospital system with academic, community and specialty medical services reaching every part of Maryland and beyond. UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. UMMS is the fourth largest private employer in the Baltimore metropolitan area and one of the top 20 employers in the state of Maryland. No organization will give you the clinical variety, the support, or the opportunities for professional growth that you’ll enjoy as a member of our team. UMMS is currently seeking a Marketing & Communications Manager for our Corporate location.
****Master’s degree in marketing, public relations, or a health related field or equivalent combination of education and experience and 5 years of experience in marketing (preferably health related) that includes knowledge of multiple marketing vehicles is REQUIRED****
Under supervision of the UMMC Director of Marketing & Communications, develop, plan and implement comprehensive marketing and communications programs for selected service lines and programs at University of Maryland Medical Center. Conduct market research as necessary, engage consultants, and secure the concurrence of physician, clinical and administrative staff for marketing and communication plans. Utilize advertising, public relations, direct marketing, online tactics, sales and outreach tools to raise awareness, emphasize the strengths and competencies, and encourage consumers, physicians and insurers to use/refer to the service lines and UMMC.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Conduct or collect appropriate market research for UMMC service lines assigned, to define the demand for services, the competitors in the market place and the relative service strengths of the University of Maryland Medical Center and the School of Medicine.
2. Provide leadership to initiate and develop a well-articulated capabilities statement including clinical, research and education competencies in coordination with the physician, clinical and administrative staff, define market differentiators, unique strengths and market opportunities; develop profiles of key personnel to support marketing and communication activities.
3. Develop an annual plan for marketing assigned service line(s), using a combination of physician-to-physician programs, selective advertising, communication tools and support for direct marketing and operational goals. Determine costs, timeline, funding, staffing. Implement the annual plan by collaborating with others and include available support from faculty and staff, the system marketing and communication shared service, physician marketing and System marketing leadership and colleagues.
4. Manage the marketing budget for each service line. Review and select proposals for marketing communications, advertising, events and other marketing activities.
5. Monitor the market performance of the service line to identify emerging strengths and offset market losses. Evaluate market opportunities, recommend strategies, formulate and initiate a targeted plan. Routinely assess customer satisfaction of patients and referring physicians and recommend appropriate marketing responses.
6. Collaborate with the media relations department for the submission of news articles and media releases concerning innovations and new services of the service lines. Assist in positioning members of the School of Medicine faculty as experts and spokespersons on related issues.
7. In collaboration with the system marketing and communication shared service team, assist the School of Medicine in facilitating, conceptualizing, developing and coordinating the advertisement of clinical trials, patient education programs, and collateral and outreach consumer programs for the School’s clinical faculty.
8. Assist System Director of Physician Marketing with physician relationship management through operation of the sales call program directed at potential and current referring physicians, medical directors, case managers and other referral sources in the Mid-Atlantic region. Coordinate with physician marketing team to develop materials and establish best practices to bolster physician referrals.
9. Prepare reports and analyze data to illustrate the market position of the service line, affiliate hospitals and outpatient practice locations. Determine the ROI for marketing campaigns. Research and understand and apply consumer demographics/prevalence of disease information to achieve marketing goals.
10. Project management of advertising campaigns, collateral materials, interviews, and other creative products, content for the Web site and other media related marketing and communication tactics..
11. Provide editorial management services as needed for promotional and educational materials including creating concepts, writing brochures and other related materials as well as overseeing the creative aspects of design and printing, developing editorial content, managing writers, writing material, and coordinating distribution and mailing of newsletters.
12. Establish relationships and partnerships with external parties including health care associations and other health related organizations for creating patient educational seminars and other programs that generate volumes.
13. Report marketing performance to clinical leadership and management team.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Master’s degree in marketing, public relations, or a health related field required, or equivalent combinations of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities have been acquired.
Five years of experience in marketing (preferably health related) that includes knowledge of multiple marketing vehicles required.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.